0   0   0
That's a lot of cold Killin in the tank
Snoop Dogg Gangsta GIF by moodman

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first mantis shrimp are the coolest ! I never seen mine but I hear it !
Snails and crabs I can see but fish idk yes they can but usually not. I need to see if I can find my video of my pistol shrimp. So cool.
I would keep it and see what really is getting the fish.
I got him on some rock and put him in a 6 gallon all he does is work moving the sand all around all day and night lol.
In my 110 I have a mantis but never seen him but I hear him

Attachments

• 20211018_094430.mp4
    42.6 MB
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first mantis shrimp are the coolest ! I never seen mine but I hear it !
Snails and crabs I can see but fish idk yes they can but usually not. I need to see if I can find my video of my pistol shrimp. So cool.
I would keep it and see what really is getting the fish.
I got him on some rock and put him in a 6 gallon all he does is work moving the sand all around all day and night lol.
In my 110 I have a mantis but never seen him but I hear him
I could pop him in my 5g for scientific observation, but then I'd have to provide sacrificial offerings.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the rock he was (and hopefully still is) inhabiting. The hidey holes were littered with the remains of his victims.

EC6C490E-CB63-4C13-8FEB-678DEB8A7319.jpeg

And I want to publicly apologize to the Scarlet Onslaught. I was wrong, and I'm sorry.

C82B48AB-153B-44B5-856A-2AE9B38C3D79.jpeg

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, the mantis shrimp is in his element and of course is probably just laughing at you right now as he plans his next murder.
The only thing left to kill are micro brittle stars. I'm hoping they're safely tucked away in the tightest crevices.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real mystery crime here is which reefer added that little surprise to your live rock? A prank worthy of commendable acknowledgment.
That would be Mother Ocean, my dude.

ɟɟnd ˙sɹɯ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I have been blaming my enormous scarlet hermit crabs for the disappearance of several fish, frequent comrade crab corpses, and other crimes against the reef.

59F21A8B-35DB-4D7E-A609-7655B303209B.jpeg

I've also noticed a lot of clacking during lights out, and assumed it was their shells hitting the glass while they wrestled to the death.

Is it possible, or even more likely, that a mantis shrimp hitched a ride in on my live rock? Could one have escaped my gaze for however many weeks it's been since I set this tank up?

Were my hermit crabs framed?

Unsolved Mysteries 1980S GIF by FILMRISE
if its a noise that reminds you of a pick axe chipping away, its probably a hitch hiked mantis shrimp
Okay. I have been blaming my enormous scarlet hermit crabs for the disappearance of several fish, frequent comrade crab corpses, and other crimes against the reef.

I've also noticed a lot of clacking during lights out, and assumed it was their shells hitting the glass while they wrestled to the death.

Is it possible, or even more likely, that a mantis shrimp hitched a ride in on my live rock? Could one have escaped my gaze for however many weeks it's been since I set this tank up?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Unsolved Mysteries 1980S GIF by FILMRISE
maui youre welcome GIF

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a murderer of my own. Heard several snaps last night. Woke up this morning to my wife upset that our sand shifting goby is not there to greet us like always.

In the process of removing the offender we discovered that the pistol shrimp we thought had died was still alive, and had been camping out with his replacement.

20211120_124852.jpg

This guy is on his way back to the LFS right now, and hopefully his smaller ex roomate did not learn any bad habits.

Fish lost to this tiger pistol:

2 Fire dart fish
2 yellow watchman gobies
Many snails
And out favorite fish ever, Mr. Sand Shifter Goby

Mr. Sand Shifter Goby you will be missed.

I truly hope our next SSG is as engaging as out first one was.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back