Looking to ask a couple questions to someone who owns a Dardanus guttatus / blue kneed (hairy) hermit crab

CONE_MacFlounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone actually have/had one of these guys?

They are currently my dream animal and I would love to own one

Probably 99% of the threads on every single forum are full of people saying 'i dont own one but this one random website says ________' and honestly i dont believe half of the things theyre saying and asking my lfs anything is pointless considering half the time they have a 'dardanus' species its very obviously not half the time its not even got a single hair on it

I mean a lot of the websites I see seem to be copy pasting their information for the guttatus from their page on a megiostos when the two are very clearly different in size at least

A lot of places say that theyre maybe 10cm at most which ok is pretty big but thinstripes can get around the same size and ive personally seen a Calcinus laevimanus that would have been 2-3" and own a halloween around 2-3" too so i doubt they would be some giant destroying machine like everyone seems to think

I hear people say a lot about them being aggressive and fighting but half of people who own marine hermits dont even provide extra shells so im not sure if i believe how aggressive people make them out to be personally

Ive owned hermits both land and marine for many years now and not once have i had a serious fight that wasnt just a one off for establishing dominance

As I say I own a very large halloween already who is probably 2-3x the width of the other hermits in my tank but he doesnt bother them at all because why would he like hes got plenty of room and food and its not like its going to be fighting over shells

The only issue I can imagine happening is a guttatus fighting that large halloween because of the same bodyshape and thus shell preference which oh no god forbid i have to buy a pack of shells for hardly anything to keep them content nigh on their entire lives

Im also not sure I believe the whole 'predatory' aspect too i mean even the largest hermit (coconut crab) is hardly predatory and mostly a scavenger that will opportunistically prey on things occasionally if food is scarce i mean crabs wouldnt be called the oceans food disposal if they were predatory all the time

My current tank stock list is basically nothing as the heatwave last year (40c in my room) killed the majority of corals and we only ever had one fish which lived to its expected lifespan anyway so literally all i have in the tank is some gsp like coral 4 hermits and a sea hare and i dont think my hermits even recognise the seahare as a living being as they just try walk over it like its a rock most of the time

So questions for anyone who actually owns one of these guys

Does yours actually predate anything (specifically hermits and sea hares) if fed enough?

Has yours ever fought with other hermits if so was it a dominance issue a shell issue or predation?

What other tankmates have you successfully kept with a guttatus if any?

I did speak briefly to my lfs online who said they have the ability to order one in and that theyd have no issues ordering one for me specifically

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly can't say I've ever seen true guttatus for sale.

Looking at where they live I imagine the first part is whether you can actually import one, they seem to reside mostly in waters where there is tons of regulations and language barriers for most LFS wholesalers.

I'm no fish and wildlife restriction expert, but I'm pretty sure out of these regions only the Philippines is able to import one. Australia/Japan to hawaii is where they're mostly found and their import laws are pretty strict.

OP
OP
C

CONE_MacFlounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly can't say I've ever seen true guttatus for sale.

Looking at where they live I imagine the first part is whether you can actually import one, they seem to reside mostly in waters where there is tons of regulations and language barriers for most LFS wholesalers.

I'm no fish and wildlife restriction expert, but I'm pretty sure out of these regions only the Philippines is able to import one. Australia/Japan to hawaii is where they're mostly found and their import laws are pretty strict.
i mean looking on inaturalist theyre found all over se asia and im more than happy to wait for one to be importable as long as i know that hes not going to cause trouble

my lfs said they hardly ever stock dardanus as a genus because of its reputation and that a fair few they get in were just misidentified as other types of hermits so i guess its just hard to misidentify the crab with very prominent blue knees as something else because of how unique they look

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with hands-on experience with these will comment for you here, but, yeah, very few people seem to keep Dardanus spp. due to their reputation. If you decide to get one, let us know how it goes, what it eats, etc.

As you've found out, not all sites are reliable sources of information (found this out myself when I looked into Marine Bettas a while ago) - this is why (unless a different source has hard evidence to back their claims) I rely almost exclusively on scholarly articles now. Unfortunately, D. guttatus doesn't seem to be very well studied, so I don't have answers to your questions. However, I do have a map showing the distribution of these guys (given their broad distribution, they should be incredibly easy to source, and - as you mentioned - they're hard to misidentify), and some pics of these guys in various (likely preferred) shells where the shells are identified by the species they come from:

The map link:
The shells link:

OP
OP
C

CONE_MacFlounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with hands-on experience with these will comment for you here, but, yeah, very few people seem to keep Dardanus spp. due to their reputation. If you decide to get one, let us know how it goes, what it eats, etc.

As you've found out, not all sites are reliable sources of information (found this out myself when I looked into Marine Bettas a while ago) - this is why (unless a different source has hard evidence to back their claims) I rely almost exclusively on scholarly articles now. Unfortunately, D. guttatus doesn't seem to be very well studied, so I don't have answers to your questions. However, I do have a map showing the distribution of these guys (given their broad distribution, they should be incredibly easy to source, and - as you mentioned - they're hard to misidentify), and some pics of these guys in various (likely preferred) shells where the shells are identified by the species they come from:

The map link:
The shells link:
yea its a shame that no one keeps them honestly i think theyre maybe the prettiest hermits out there probably even the prettiest crab in general and a lot of daranus/aniculus genus are incredibly pretty too and super underrated

Im honestly not surprised that theres no articles online about them really

personally I think theyd just be another hermit crab with nothing special i mean in terms of behaviour i havent noticed any real differences between my land crabs and the marine ones aside from the marine ones have a much more excited feeding response which i just assume is because the 'food' chemicals have a better time dispersing through the relatively clean water compared to the air of my room

In terms of behaviour theres no difference ive noticed between any of the species be it land or marine they all act the same to me so realistically i dont think they would have any issues but i kinda want someone to confirm beforehand you know

Honestly i did already see both of those links in my search for some information on them and man the one in the cowry shell looks horribly uncomfortable i do kinda prefer inaturalist for looking at distrobution just because i like being able to actually look at photos rather than just hoping that the text is correct

I will probably get one eventually but as i say my tank is basically a seahorse tank sans seahorse (full of calupera that even the seahare would rather eat gha than this) so other than basic observations there probably wouldnt be much to say

OP
OP
C

CONE_MacFlounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't posted on the forum since the day after this post, so I doubt you'll get an answer
yea i only made this account to ask about these crabs lol
half the questions about this species online are from various accounts of mine honestly
i got an email notification though
Did you ever get one?
I never actually got one
Honestly we had a heatwave around the time that the original post was made which killed a lot of the stuff in the tank which also killed my interest a fair bit
I keep meaning to ask the people at my lfs if they have any information on these crabs but I keep forgetting to
They probably won't but I want to check just in case
Unless they tell me that it will be unsuitable for my tank because of some actual reason then I'll probably just end up getting one anyway and just hoping it's ok

As I said in the original post most of the information on these crabs is just dumb and wrong
Currently my tank is borderline empty it's only got a few other crabs in the there
Those crabs have round opening shells which should almost completely remove any form of shell fighting
There's a fair few species of worm looking things which I'd be glad if a guttatus would predate them
There's a couple coral patches left too but honestly I don't super care if that gets eaten at this point
This species should also be pretty hardy too considering it's found all over asia and elsewhere so it shouldn't need any special parameters that I would be unable to meet
If the current hermits are ok in the tank then I assume that a guttatus would also be fine

I'm just worried about one specific crab that I've had through every problem with my tank and everything like that
I just don't want them to fight because I have too much of an emotional attachment to that one crab lol
I would feel really bad if they ended up fighting because I would have specifically caused this animal to be removed from the wild I assume
It's not like I would be able to find one of these guys already in a store
I would have to have one specifically caught from the wild for me and so it's a lot more of a responsibility
Or at least that's what I assume would happen if I had the lfs acquire one for me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back