Who has issues with rising CA/falling MG on their Trident?

My Trident has the rising CA / Falling MG problem

• Total voters

iprayforwaves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an issue with our Trident where after we change to the second bottle of Alk reagent in a kit, CA readings start climbing and MG readings start falling.

CA will reach 800 and then show an out of range error and MG will fall to 0. The only way to correct the problem is to toss the reagents and use a new kit. Not ideal.

We have reported it to Neptune but there hasn’t been any word of a fix and we are on our second set of reagents where this is happening.

Who else is having this issue? I believe it is more widespread than Neptune has let on. Please cast your vote on the poll.

Thanks!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it happen with each reagent batch. With 15 days left my calcium is 875 and now out of range.

I put in a ticket with Neptune, which everyone should do, and got a call that said it was a known problem with some users and seems to be environmental as they took 10 units showing this problem and were not able to recreate the issue in their offices. The person said they are working on a fix, either reagent or software, but it’s still in process.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1592663514414.png

Not having the issue here. I find that a bit weird almost like the reagent is not making it.

Cmooreinor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with the same thing. Seems like that second bottle of alk reagent does not even get close to being all used up on the second month. I just try to run extra manual alk tests throughout the second bottle to try and get some use out of it.... my Ca and Mag defiantly are not accurate as well....

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
elevation 980ft. didn't have the problem until I hit bout 4 months in with the trident. Only thing I can trust on it today is the ALK tests

Screenshot_20200620-074935_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
iprayforwaves

iprayforwaves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hart24601, This is what they told me as well. I’ve been letting it run through the remaining Alk reagent and just dealing with the bad Ca/Mg readings, but it is a little frustrating that such an expensive unit does not work properly.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hart24601, This is what they told me as well. I’ve been letting it run through the remaining Alk reagent and just dealing with the bad Ca/Mg readings, but it is a little frustrating that such an expensive unit does not work properly.
I have this exact same problem. Anytime regent for cal and mag get below 20% or so cal and mag reading go wacky. I’ve even started my own thread about it with pictures and proof. Neptune’s say these regents last 2 months I’m yet to get 1.5 months from them without cal and mag getting crazy off track. Soon as I install new regen kit numbers fall back to proper readings . Kinda stupid cause if you think about this I’ve gone threw 5 2 month kits all needing to be replaced 2 weeks early due to 20% left and reading going crazy do the math on 2 weeks short 2 kits that is 10 weeks or 2.5 months that I have been shorted yet I pay for... NEPTUNES OPEN YOUR EYES ON THIS BS!!!!! OR AT LEAST OFFER 6 month kits so we can save money since 6 month kit really is only 4.5 month !!!!!

OP
OP
iprayforwaves

iprayforwaves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact same problem. Anytime regent for cal and mag get below 20% or so cal and mag reading go wacky. I’ve even started my own thread about it with pictures and proof. Neptune’s say these regents last 2 months I’m yet to get 1.5 months from them without cal and mag getting crazy off track. Soon as I install new regen kit numbers fall back to proper readings . Kinda stupid cause if you think about this I’ve gone threw 5 2 month kits all needing to be replaced 2 weeks early due to 20% left and reading going crazy do the math on 2 weeks short 2 kits that is 10 weeks or 2.5 months that I have been shorted yet I pay for... NEPTUNES OPEN YOUR EYES ON THIS crap!!!!! OR AT LEAST OFFER 6 month kits so we can save money since 6 month kit really is only 4.5 month !!!!!

I was able to buy a 6 month kit right before all this COVID crap. Now all thats available are the 2 month kits. I've got 4 months left on this kit, if something doesn't get resolved with the Ca/Mg readings or the 6 month kits aren't readily available, I may just sell the Trident on eBay. I feel like it's not worth the cost if each kit only goes for 6 weeks rather than 8, considering the cost of 2 month kits vs 6 month kits.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it needs to be recalibrated more than once per reagent change. We don’t even use up half what’s in the calibrated solution, all they’d have to do is split the bottle into 2.

OP
OP
iprayforwaves

iprayforwaves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not tried this, but will attempt it and see if it helps.

I did try this and it temporarily seemed to level out the CA reading (at 875), but the next day it dropped down to 0 and now I'm getting the 'Bad CA' error. I can't imagine that the bottles are actually airtight so... hey it was worth a shot. MG is still dropping steadily as expected with this issue. It wouldn't be so bad if the 6 month kits were available, I'd be willing to swap them out early. But with the added expense of only being able to procure 2 month kits... the Trident is starting to look like a bad investment.

1593138390160.png

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think recalibration would work since the numbers continue to drastically climb or fall daily. At some point they just stop being registered at 875 Ca I think it was. Just replaced reagents so numbers are accurate again, for around the next month...

It is disappointing but at least alk is ok. They will clearly need to reformulate the Ca and Mg or more realistically split those into 2 more bottles and have you swap them when changing the alk.

OP
OP
iprayforwaves

iprayforwaves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone having issues with Ca/Mg, I found on another post these 3D printed inserts for the bottles that help keep the straws vertical and supposedly stops the problems with the readings. I happen to have a 3D printer so I am printing some out to test. It'll be a bit till I have results to report, since I am empty on reagent B right now and will be switching out the reagents as soon as these inserts are finished printing.

For those of you who have access to a printer: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4432712

They are also being sold printed on Etsy by a guy for $15: https://www.etsy.com/listing/813567...ent&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear your results. I am pretty skeptical the issue is tilted reagent straws. I can’t think of why tilted would matter unless it is drawing air, which seems unlikely as it starts happening with a great deal of reagent left and Ca and Mg show the opposite problems, one drops and one rises, if both were tilted and drawing air both should tend the same direction. It sure would be nice if this fixed it though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back