Who has the coldest reef tank?

What temp do you keep your reef? (Vote in poll) How low can it be kept? (Post in the thread)

• 67-68

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • 69-70

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • 71-72

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • 73-74

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • 75-76

Votes: 78 9.1%
  • 77-78

Votes: 570 66.8%
  • 79-80

Votes: 161 18.9%
  • 81-82

Votes: 16 1.9%

• Total voters

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add that metabolic rates, specifically enzymes, do not function on a linear scale of where say a 1 degree increase corresponds to a 1% increase in growth. For a lot of things it's logarithmic, so one or two degrees can make a HUGE change in metabolic demands, oxygen consumption...etc.

I was running my tank hotter for a few months at around 81-82. I've since slowly lowered to ~77.8-78.2 (on an APEX) and I've noticed my tank is much more stable and have less algae.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add that metabolic rates, specifically enzymes, do not function on a linear scale of where say a 1 degree increase corresponds to a 1% increase in growth. For a lot of things it's logarithmic, so one or two degrees can make a HUGE change in metabolic demands, oxygen consumption...etc.

I was running my tank hotter for a few months at around 81-82. I've since slowly lowered to ~77.8-78.2 (on an APEX) and I've noticed my tank is much more stable and have less algae.
My tank runs hot, literally just because of the equipment. My heater barely ever kicks on. It's still a new tank, but I haven't really noticed any issues. Running from 80 all the way up to 83.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my tanks around 78-79, but I'm sure some people have found success as low as 74-75 (not going to try it myself). It likely depends a lot on what corals you are keeping and how stable you are able to keep the temperature. I hear of tons of people in hot states getting well into the 80s in the summer.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video given by a marine biologist who specialized in raising coral in a lab environment. He stated he had his best results at 79-80 degrees. I up'd mine to the high side of 79 degrees and my corals are thriving as are my anemones. Haven't seen any adverse algae and my PH seemed to improve a little.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is really no single answer to the question of optimal temperature for stony coral growth, which is why most recommendations are in the lower end of the summer temperature averages from most common tropical and subtropical reefs - allows enough room for equipment and other issues.

Stony corals will bleach equally at low and high temperatures. The low range tolerated is around 64F and the high is around 84 although some will survive temps in the 100s for short periods of times. In certain regions corals regularly thrive in higher temps than 84 during summer without obvious issues.

Using photosynthesis to respiration ratio as a growth proxy, repeated studies have found that increasing temperatures by ~2-4F above the summer averages of the region of origin will severely decrease the ratio and often lead to bleaching. There is a high correlation to carbon fixation as well. Reproduction rates (not as much of a concern for most of us) will drop tenfold at about 2F increase from the summer average.

In lab settings scientists have a good understanding of where their test subjects come from and can thus adjust the temperature to what is considered to result in peak growth. In general that means adjusting the temp near the summer average for the region.

In our tanks very few would know the actual origin of the mother colony that and even then we’d end up with a pretty wide range. Possibly as low as 75 and into the 90s.

To illustrate, a coral from more temperate zones of Polynesia may thrive/peak near the summer average of ~77 and have a bleaching threshold of ~80. The same coral in the Caribbean may thrive/peak at 84F and bleach at 86.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote, but you’re using some weird temperature measurement, not used in any other place in the world by people under the age of 65 any more... :D

Here ya go! You can vote now [emoji16]

39aff7671a3e85daaa3825ffb4afa753.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would vote, but you’re using some weird temperature measurement, not used in any other place in the world by people under the age of 65 any more... :D
would agree if this site wasn't based in that place in the world that uses that temperature measurement - and given the fact that its used by everyone in that place from 5 years old to 105 years old. Get over it. Great Britain uses the pound - should that be 'criticized'? among several other examples. Get over it. LOL.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was your take-away from this article - from my reading - its a lot of various studies with no conclusion as to how it applies to a reef tank. Again not - meant to be critical - but it seems like information from lots of different places with no connection and no message...

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you are between 74-84 you are fine as long as the swing in any day is not more than 2-3 degrees. When my tank would hit 75 I was putting fans on it but it still would hit 77 on days where outside temps would hit 120 even though house was air conditioned. Never a problem.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool Question. I run mine on the hot side, but then I think the question was about acros, which I don't keep anymore for a variety of reasons.

I don't mean to deviate but I've gotta ask: Anyone out there keep one of those coldwater reef/invert tanks I've heard about? The coldwater nems n' inverts are so cool looking. If there is a coldwater reef build 'round here I need to follow it, if anything but for the pictures:D!

OP
OP
joelbegt

joelbegt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
74-76
no acros.
mostly zoa's shrooms and leathers with a few stonies.
zoa's and shrooms and popping new growth. monti is doing fine.
long tentacle plate appears happy.

Good to hear that it’s working out for you. I currently have a mixed reef so I might try slowly lower it a little.

Hey Joel!

Haven't seen you in a LONG time......like since I lived in Ohio and you had the frag tanks full.

Hope you are doing well and didn't even realize you were on here.

Take care

Mike

Hey Mike!
We only stayed open about a year after we moved locations. I decided I really needed to spend more time with the family so I sold everything and closed shop. I just finally got an aquarium set up at home but it’s in the chilly unfinished basement hence the cold reef question. Here’s my build thread if you want to follow.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-65g-rimless-reef.490095/

Hope all is well!
Joel

There is really no single answer to the question of optimal temperature for stony coral growth, which is why most recommendations are in the lower end of the summer temperature averages from most common tropical and subtropical reefs - allows enough room for equipment and other issues.

Stony corals will bleach equally at low and high temperatures. The low range tolerated is around 64F and the high is around 84 although some will survive temps in the 100s for short periods of times. In certain regions corals regularly thrive in higher temps than 84 during summer without obvious issues.

Using photosynthesis to respiration ratio as a growth proxy, repeated studies have found that increasing temperatures by ~2-4F above the summer averages of the region of origin will severely decrease the ratio and often lead to bleaching. There is a high correlation to carbon fixation as well. Reproduction rates (not as much of a concern for most of us) will drop tenfold at about 2F increase from the summer average.

In lab settings scientists have a good understanding of where their test subjects come from and can thus adjust the temperature to what is considered to result in peak growth. In general that means adjusting the temp near the summer average for the region.

In our tanks very few would know the actual origin of the mother colony that and even then we’d end up with a pretty wide range. Possibly as low as 75 and into the 90s.

To illustrate, a coral from more temperate zones of Polynesia may thrive/peak near the summer average of ~77 and have a bleaching threshold of ~80. The same coral in the Caribbean may thrive/peak at 84F and bleach at 86.

That’s some good information for sure. This is a hard part for the hobby as things moving towards aquaculture because you never really know where it all comes from. I Do find it odd that in general most hobbiest run more towards what appears to be the the higher side.

If you look at the poll results you see a bell curve like you would expect, but there are only outliers only towards the cold side. Seeing this makes me think hotter may be worse than cooler compared to the average reefers aquarium temperature.

Once I finish the basement I plan to eventually build a much larger system where heating will be a significant amount of the energy costs to run it. It kind of makes me wonder how warm or cold some of the huge public aquarium reefs run.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I finish the basement I plan to eventually build a much larger system where heating will be a significant amount of the energy costs to run it. It kind of makes me wonder how warm or cold some of the huge public aquarium reefs run.

My 150 is an in wall in a finished basement. Boiler/base board heats the house, including the basement. basement temp is never lower than 72 and never higher than 76. I do have to run two dehumidifiers during the summer to keep the humidity down.

OP
OP
joelbegt

joelbegt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 is an in wall in a finished basement. Boiler/base board heats the house, including the basement. basement temp is never lower than 72 and never higher than 76. I do have to run two dehumidifiers during the summer to keep the humidity down.

We run geothermal and for the most part keep upstairs around 70 year round and I honestly haven’t checked the basement but it feels a little cooler. I’m hoping once I finish the basement and insulate the planned fish room that it will help.

I’m thinking long term and my concern is that I’m looking at around a 400g glass display or possibly Significantly larger if I go fiberglass or plywood so let’s say possibly even a 1000-1500g display. I would assume heating 700-2000 gallons of water to only 74ish is much more cost effective than running things up closer to 80 on something that large.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mostly shallow water inverts, so nominally 78-79 in the Winter and and a degree or two higher in the Summer.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually run the Apex seasonal chart for my water temps, however, I adjusted them slightly, so the lows weren't so low, and the highs weren't so high. I also run the seasonal lighting times, so it all kinda balances out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back