Who is AVAST Marine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Some time last fall, I called a good friend, Justin Casp, to bounce off an idea regarding a new product concept I had. I wanted to make a kit version of some of the more popular Grey Seas Aquatics products. He thought it was a great idea, and knew there were a lot of aquarists out there who would love to do this given the parts, tools, and skills. It saves money, you get exactly what you want, and it's just plain fun to see your projects work. A few months later I asked him if he was interested in helping design and test the kits, eventually I asked him if he would like to become a partner in Grey Seas Aquatics; lucky for me, he was.

So after several (hundred) hours of talking and planning, we decided that we would combine our various skill sets in order to turn Grey Seas into a very different aquarium equipment company. We wanted to appeal to the DIY crowd unlike any other company out there, but still have something for those who just want a plug-n-play device. Along with the focus on DIY, we decided a new name and image would be useful to set us apart from the mainstream manufacturers out there. Why AVAST and the pirate theme? Well, we hope that it is memorable compared to the countless blue underwater themed sites. Also, we take ourselves just seriously enough to deliver a robust product- but you won't find chrome and racing stripes and multi thousand dollar price tags on our stuff. So a bit of whimsical humor was needed. Finally, we just loved the cool little octo dude that a good friend dreamed up. AVAST was born.

Just to give you an idea of how Justin and I run AVAST, I concentrate on CAD, machining, production, and material sourcing while Justin does things like shipping, IT, and customer support. If you have a question about a product or a problem, just ask me or Justin and we will do our best to help you out asap. If you need some advice on a DIY project, ask either one of us. We're on the forums, email, PM, blog site, etc.

Finally, we plan to keep our new projects and ideas highly visible to all. We're hoping that this transparency of the design and prototyping phase will show you how our products are conceived, as well as inspire and teach you to make your own new devices. You can follow our blog by clicking the What's New link on the website, or this link.

Thanks for your interest in AVAST!

Dan Lichens and Justin Casp
Captains

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool stuff guys. I like the shop and the concept. Great work!

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys have some awesome ideas, and if you ever need a guinea pig, just let me know. I love DIY, makes me feel prouder of my tank.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

Gilmour01, we do not "currently" have any skimmers in production stage. Quite frankly, the metric equivalents have made the skimmer market an unpleasant place to compete as an American manufacture. We hope that by focusing on our new and truly innovative ideas we will be able to do far more for the reefing community than we would if we were building just another skimmer.

Jon, give me a ring when you have a few.

Dan

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just ordered my pump from you great price !

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin, thanks for the great communication. Looking forward to my custom swabbie.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ianwane, we should be shipping your custom order by the end of next week. Thank you for the order!

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back