Who is reefing in SWVA?

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get a thread started where SWVA reefers can start networking since our forum group has been quiet for a while! Anyone who's out there in SWVA tell us your tank size, type, etc. and where you're located!
I will get us rolling!
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef, this is my fourth tank throughout the years.
Located in Christiansburg VA

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I'm located in Roanoke and just got started with my first reef tank at the beginning of the year. You can see my build thread here, but I really need to update it. It's a 40 gallon mixed reef that's hopefully starting to settle in, but I've been slacking on the water changes a bit lately. I'm trying to remedy that and get back on track. I actually work in Christiansburg so I commute up and down I-81 everyday. Glad to see there are other SWVA reefers in this area!

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I'm located in Roanoke and just got started with my first reef tank at the beginning of the year. You can see my build thread here, but I really need to update it. It's a 40 gallon mixed reef that's hopefully starting to settle in, but I've been slacking on the water changes a bit lately. I'm trying to remedy that and get back on track. I actually work in Christiansburg so I commute up and down I-81 everyday. Glad to see there are other SWVA reefers in this area!
Not far away at all! I Commute on 81 to Wytheville every day so I know your pain!
Were a couple months in and Im working on getting a frag tank set up to begin fragging in the next few months!

MJReefer72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up everyone, I am new to R2R and new to SWVA. I have a 29 gallon with two clowns, a large colony of GSP and Xenia. I recently moved from Hampton Roads and still trying to figure out places for livestock and equipment. I have had my reef tank for 7 years and it has been a journey. I am currently battling a case of cyanobactria. Right now I am at a point where I either dig in and do a tank overhaul (due to stuff breaking) or shut it down and take a break for a couple years. Still debating, might do a series on my setup to see if it sparks some additional interest.

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up everyone, I am new to R2R and new to SWVA. I have a 29 gallon with two clowns, a large colony of GSP and Xenia. I recently moved from Hampton Roads and still trying to figure out places for livestock and equipment. I have had my reef tank for 7 years and it has been a journey. I am currently battling a case of cyanobactria. Right now I am at a point where I either dig in and do a tank overhaul (due to stuff breaking) or shut it down and take a break for a couple years. Still debating, might do a series on my setup to see if it sparks some additional interest.
Welcome! SWVA does not have a ton of places to purchase for reefing, but there are few that Make good day trips or evening trips depending on where you are located. In Roanoke there is Alien Aquatics, Ultimate Aquariums and Exotics & aquatics. If you want to travel to Greensboro NC, there is Triad Reef Critters (definitely make a trip down!). If you send me a message, we have been researching cyanobacteria lately and may have a few solutions for you!

sramirez94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was so excited to see this thread that I had to make an account lol! I'm new to the hobby and have actually been wondering if there was anyone else close by that had tanks. I haven't set up my tank yet, as I have been doing lots of research before hand but hopefully within the next month or 2 I will be able to set it up :) I live in Galax, Va if anyone is super close and would like to help out! I'm actually planning a trip on Friday to go to Triad Reef Critters in Greensboro just to look and see what they have and maybe add to my wish list.

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was so excited to see this thread that I had to make an account lol! I'm new to the hobby and have actually been wondering if there was anyone else close by that had tanks. I haven't set up my tank yet, as I have been doing lots of research before hand but hopefully within the next month or 2 I will be able to set it up :) I live in Galax, Va if anyone is super close and would like to help out! I'm actually planning a trip on Friday to go to Triad Reef Critters in Greensboro just to look and see what they have and maybe add to my wish list.

Oh you’re in for a treat going to triad reed critters!! I don’t work too far from Galax, I’ll shoot you a message [emoji4]

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm in Gate City, VA/Kingsport, TN area. I have a 75g mixed reef tank, 125g, 60g & 50g fowlers. I have been in the hobby for almost 2 years. Would love to know some more people who share this addiction lol. I have no sps it melts instantly in my tank. I do have lps, lots of leathers, ricordia yuma mushrooms, red BTA'S, lots of other soft coral.

tri4god

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving to Salem and want to setup a new tank. Is there an active community here?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if there's an active "community" but there are definitely plenty of reefers and several LFS's in the area. I'm located in Roanoke and the LFS I go to is Ultimate Aquariums out in Daleville across from Botetourt High School. The owner, Justin, is a great guy who's happy to answer questions and has a nice stock of fish, corals and dry goods at fair prices. I've been meaning to check out Alien Aquatics as well but I think they're currently moving locations. I'd love to see a community develop in this area so we could setup some frag swaps but I haven't been able to network with many other reefers in the area.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to the forum. Had to set up an account once I saw there was a swva section. Ok, here goes. 75 gallon mixed tank. No reef stuff going on with it atm, but that is what I am pushing for. Tank has been setup for four months now. Has a 20 gallon sump that I made myself. A protein skimmer, again made myself. I currently have live rock in it. Also have housed in it 3 green spotted puffers, one figure 8 puffer, a scooter bleeny, a diamond goby, two clown fish, and my recent addition, a dogface puffer. All living happily together in this one tank. This is my first saltwater tank although I have had freshwater tanks all my life.
We currently have 8 tanks in our apartment that we share with my girl's brother. Two hundred and ninth three gallons of water in our apartment lol, and yes, we live on the bottom floor with a concrete slab. We are located in Roanoke, VA. I stumbled across this thread looking for a reefer club. So I guess my question is, is there a reefer club here in Roanoke?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are located in Roanoke, VA. I stumbled across this thread looking for a reefer club. So I guess my question is, is there a reefer club here in Roanoke?

Welcome to the forum! I'm in Roanoke too and unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a reefing club in Roanoke or Southwest Virginia for that matter. I'd love to see one get setup though so we could maybe get some frag swaps going. I'm not really sure how to go about getting that started though.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, right now I have a puffer tank, wasn't meant to be that way when I started it, but oh well, iove the guys what can I say. But I do have a 48 gallon bow front tank that is brackish right now that I am thinking about raising the salinity up in and moving my "Freshwater snowflake eel" to my puffer tank and turn the 48 into a reef tank.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, right now I have a puffer tank, wasn't meant to be that way when I started it, but oh well, iove the guys what can I say.

Man, I've been wanting to start a puffer tank! What size is yours? I don't want to put one in my reef tank as I've heard they like to eat corals, but I'd love to setup a species tank for one (or several).

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I've been wanting to start a puffer tank! What size is yours? I don't want to put one in my reef tank as I've heard they like to eat corals, but I'd love to setup a species tank for one (or several).
I have a 75 gallon. 3 Green Spotted Puffers, a figure 8 Puffer, a Diamond Watchman Goby, a Scooter Bleeny, 2 Clownfish, and my newest addition, Dogface Puffer.

swvahawker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clifton Forge, VA here. IM Nuvo 20. Always interested in a frag or two if anyone has any extras that need a good home.
Nothing special in my tank right now. Bubble tip nem, maxi carpet nem, GSP, hammer, war coral, shrooms, birds nest, xenia, palys. 2 clowns, royal gramma, 6 line, sapphire damsel. Skunk cleaner, fighting conch, cowerie, hermits, snails. About 20 pounds of rock.

CC51D051-865A-4A19-993F-09A15D8013F2.jpeg

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, there is a new aquarium store opening in Roanoke today, well they aren't new, but they actually have a large store now. Name of the place is Alien Aquadics. They are going to have everything the owner says. I will update once I check out their new store.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, there is a new aquarium store opening in Roanoke today, well they aren't new, but they actually have a large store now. Name of the place is Alien Aquadics. They are going to have everything the owner says. I will update once I check out their new store.

Nice! I was wondering when they were going to open at their new location. I'll have to check it out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back