Who is reefing in SWVA?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went by Alien Aquatics on Saturday and it's looking great so far! They're still waiting on some lights to come in for their tanks as well as some dry goods and livestock but they already have a pretty good selection. I met Brian the owner and his dad as well and they were super friendly. I picked up a nice purple brush gorgonian and he threw in some free GSP that he had a bunch of pieces of. I also got some rasta zoas for a great price that he's gonna frag and hold for me until they're healed and ready for pick up. All in all a great visit and I'm stoked to have another quality LFS in town!

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Alien Aquatics so much, Brian and Scott should just let me move my tanks there and live in the back of the store lol.

Caleb barger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new here on R2R. I'm located in Gloucester, va. I have a 10 gallon nano I just recently started up 8 months ago. I have 2 clown fish, a cleaner shrimp, hammer coral, blue xenia, zoas, galaxea and some GSP starting to take over the back glass. I'm looking to get rid of my blue xenia for a more pink coloration that pulses, and some different colored zoas (currently have green) so if any one is in the area or know of any good LFS'S near by, let me know!

YMRreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

New here on R2R and new to reefing period. I have a Red Sea Reefer 525 with a tailspot and starry blenny, purple firefish, two blacker ice clowns, yellow tang and a powder brown. Currently just have LPS - multiple aussie acans, blastos, duncans, hammers and torch coral. It just cycled a couple months ago and we started with dry rock... so really awaiting some coralline to grow :)

Mena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
New here myself, just joined last night. I have a 55g I set up 9 months ago. Well actually I upgraded from a 40g. I have been reefing now for 14 months. I joined last night because my tank started crashing. Through you guys on here I discovered it's probably my fault. I swapped a hob filter for a canister and cleaned very well therefore stripping all of my bacteria. Lost almost all my fish in days. My corals seem to be hanging in there but only time will tell. Had some good advice given to me. I will run to the lfs to get some bacteria and dump in and wait. I live in Max Meadows VA so I'm glad there are others near me and really glad to hear some recommendations about store close to me. I dont get out much, just work and home. Lol. Well here's to hoping my tank survives!

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
New here myself, just joined last night. I have a 55g I set up 9 months ago. Well actually I upgraded from a 40g. I have been reefing now for 14 months. I joined last night because my tank started crashing. Through you guys on here I discovered it's probably my fault. I swapped a hob filter for a canister and cleaned very well therefore stripping all of my bacteria. Lost almost all my fish in days. My corals seem to be hanging in there but only time will tell. Had some good advice given to me. I will run to the lfs to get some bacteria and dump in and wait. I live in Max Meadows VA so I'm glad there are others near me and really glad to hear some recommendations about store close to me. I dont get out much, just work and home. Lol. Well here's to hoping my tank survives!
Call Triad Reef Critters and Ultimate Aquariums, I believe Triad will have bacteria in stock. If not order Dr. Tims one and only, works GREAT! be sure to order the ammonia nitrate

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated picture of the 75Gal!!!!

IMG_9878.JPG

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was up at Ultimate Yesterday, picked up the jellybean chalice that Justin fragged a while back... SO EXCITED. Justin is great!

Oh so you're one the one who claimed one of the jellybean frags! I asked Justin about those last time I was in UA and he told me they were both spoken for. Thank goodness! My girlfriend loved them and they were a bit out of my price range so I just loaded up on some frags from the $10 tank. :D

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated picture of the 75Gal!!!!

IMG_9878.JPG

Tank's looking great! That rock flower anemone is huge! I dig the color too, kinda Virginia Tech Hokie colors (maroon/orange).

How's it been keeping that clam? I've been considering trying to keep one as I've had some success with an electric flame scallop. Do you spot feed it, or just dose phyto to the tank?

Great to see more local reefers active on the forums here! I'd love to try and get a frag swap setup sometime this year!

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so you're one the one who claimed one of the jellybean frags! I asked Justin about those last time I was in UA and he told me they were both spoken for. Thank goodness! My girlfriend loved them and they were a bit out of my price range so I just loaded up on some frags from the $10 tank. :D
Yeah, I claimed it before he even considered fragging it.... just asked him every time I saw him! LOL Im loving it

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's looking great! That rock flower anemone is huge! I dig the color too, kinda Virginia Tech Hokie colors (maroon/orange).

How's it been keeping that clam? I've been considering trying to keep one as I've had some success with an electric flame scallop. Do you spot feed it, or just dose phyto to the tank?

Great to see more local reefers active on the forums here! I'd love to try and get a frag swap setup sometime this year!
The clam has been doing great, had it about two months now. We dose Phyto but otherwise we do not spot feed him. There are plenty of nutrients in our tank keeping him happy. He has been moving around some lately.
That rock flower shocked me. I have refused to get any anemone for years, My inner OCD comes out because I like to place everything in my tank. This guy is in the exact spot I put him months ago.... Couldn't believe it!!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam has been doing great, had it about two months now. We dose Phyto but otherwise we do not spot feed him. There are plenty of nutrients in our tank keeping him happy. He has been moving around some lately.
That rock flower shocked me. I have refused to get any anemone for years, My inner OCD comes out because I like to place everything in my tank. This guy is in the exact spot I put him months ago.... Couldn't believe it!!

Nice! I have two RFA's and the first one I got moved a little bit (a few inches along the rock work) but it eventually settled in one spot and has been there ever since. I put the second one right next to it and it never moved. Love those things!

OP
OP
jjones

jjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to rub salt in the wound.... but check it out!

IMG_0685.JPG

manderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I live in cburg. we used to have a pretty rockin' local NRV club (30+ members) back in the day that i'd like to try to re-kindle. we used to meet once a month at someone's house, or we'd have a tank crawl where we'd drive all over and spend ~15 mins at each person's tank.

I had been seriously slacking off for the past 10 years and am just getting serious again with a new 25g lagoon. it's only been running for about 5 months, i think i want to restack the rocks again so i havent glued anything up yet.

Whole Tank.jpg
IMG_20200112_191839.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back