who is running two tanks off ONE apex?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I was setting here thinking...

I would like to, at the very least ,monitor the heater in a nano tank that will be15- 20ish feet from the main display.
what do I need to do this. heater will be around 75-100W.

I would love some feedback on those that are running 2 or more tanks not next to each other with one apex. I know they -Apex - would say just buy another unit. but that sounds silly to me with all # of modules that the apex can support.

I guess it just about the wires going everywhere.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not yea, just label stuff you will need extension coords etc

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to run two systems off one sump with single apex. Are you trying to monitor the temp of your nano tank? Would need a pretty long temp probe

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to run two systems off one sump with single apex. Are you trying to monitor the temp of your nano tank? Would need a pretty long temp probe

yes that is what I want to do to start off with. I think that is the most needed, then maybe ATO back up just in case pump fails on.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not yea, just label stuff you will need extension coords etc

as I have not really use the apex even tho I have had for about 1.5 years ( been in tank limbo) what do I need to do this?

is there an extension for the apex temp prob.
is there a "better" or cheaper temp prob one should look into?
would I need a PM1 module do to this? ( how many temps can the wifi apex support)

thanks everyone!

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I have not really use the apex even tho I have had for about 1.5 years ( been in tank limbo) what do I need to do this?

is there an extension for the apex temp prob.
is there a "better" or cheaper temp prob one should look into?
would I need a PM1 module do to this? ( how many temps can the wifi apex support)

thanks everyone!
i mean to be honest just add a second heater for safety i wouldnt worry about checking the nano that often odds arent to high you would lose your heater just add as second is what i would do but for control wise id use the extension cords for pumps etc.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point I was running 3 separate aquariums off of one "brain", each aquarium had its own EB8 and temp probe. I just organized my Fusion desktop columns so that each column represented a tank and labeled outlets accordingly.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex Runs me Reef tank, Breeding system, Growout System and it also mointers temp in my hatch tanks. it's really simple PM1 and EB8 or 2 per system. I just use extra long USB cables to link everything together. then just make sure to lable all you PM1's and probes correctly

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex Runs me Reef tank, Breeding system, Growout System and it also mointers temp in my hatch tanks. it's really simple PM1 and EB8 or 2 per system. I just use extra long USB cables to link everything together. then just make sure to lable all you PM1's and probes correctly

Ok thanks for the info this sounds like what i want to do.
find a used Pm1 if I can, get a temp probe. i guess to do it right I would need a extra eB8 or eb832 or I would have a long extension cord + the temp cord. not sure how I can extend that?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point I was running 3 separate aquariums off of one "brain", each aquarium had its own EB8 and temp probe. I just organized my Fusion desktop columns so that each column represented a tank and labeled outlets accordingly.

I just need the eb8 and not the eb832 correct? just trying to add up the cost to see if it worth it just for temp control.
thanks

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, and fusion became a mess between all the tanks, modules, sensors and switches. They really need to support tabs or something, it becomes a cluttered mess quickly.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one apex to control two tanks. The smaller tank has its own energy bar and pm1 module. Also a breakoutbox for the ato. I do not monitor salinity in that tank.

The challenging part is running the cords without making them look obnoxious

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one apex to control two tanks. The smaller tank has its own energy bar and pm1 module. Also a breakoutbox for the ato. I do not monitor salinity in that tank.

that is what i am thinking. to bad there is not a better way...

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the info this sounds like what i want to do.
find a used Pm1 if I can, get a temp probe. i guess to do it right I would need a extra eB8 or eb832 or I would have a long extension cord + the temp cord. not sure how I can extend that?
Just sold one last week for 50 bucks, they are on here often

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need the eb8 and not the eb832 correct? just trying to add up the cost to see if it worth it just for temp control.
thanks
If you don't need the extra 1-Link ports (for WAVs, Trident) then you can just use EB8s

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

trying to under stand this better. if the tank as its would eb8 + PM1 then the only cord would be the apex brain aqua bus cable? or am I totallt missing it here..haha

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah an extra PM1 will get you PH, ORP and temp with the probes of course. I use that to run my Ca reactor. Another power bar and a long USB cable would do it. Then of course you could add a PM2 module/probe if you wanted salinity. I'm thinking about another tank and probably going to do the same. Not going to buy another controller. Just for monitoring you could just get a inexpensive hydro monitor that has just PH and temp.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to under stand this better. if the tank as its would eb8 + PM1 then the only cord would be the apex brain aqua bus cable? or am I totallt missing it here..haha
Yeah all the stuff in second tank would be connected to everything else via a USB cable either to the controller or a power bar in the first tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back