OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mical, thanks for the adventure. Regarding posts if it fails - empty sump and swap them out. Difficulty factor depends on size of and accessibility of your sump. What y don’t want is a heater that sticks to the sump like a reptile heater, those are tough to get off. I like the idea that it uses the sump as a heat sink of sorts and provides a nice even heat through the whole sump vs. 2 or more traditional heaters that don’t necessarily heat all the altering a sump chamber evenly. Could also use a traditional heater as backup to the WBH.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of alternative heat sources, does anyone remember that GARF, the geothermal aquaculture research foundation (of bonsai acro fame) heated their systems with geothermal heat from the hot springs under their property!? Wild.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has slowed down my build since I started this post but hoping to get it up and running by Christmas. Maybe @Mical could give an update on how his experiment went?
I tried the waterbed heater under the sump in my 120 and it worked (sort of) The issues I encountered were when it got to the high setting of my apex it kept going a degree or two. The same applied to when cooling - when apex reached low point it would take 20 minutes to start to heat and temp was 2 degrees cooler than lo setting.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the waterbed heater under the sump in my 120 and it worked (sort of) The issues I encountered were when it got to the high setting of my apex it kept going a degree or two. The same applied to when cooling - when apex reached low point it would take 20 minutes to start to heat and temp was 2 degrees cooler than lo setting.
Probably the difference in losing the heat stored in the glass, rocks etc then gaining it back again. Wonder why? Seems like in a water bed the temp always stayed even although I probably wouldn’t have noticed 1 or 2 degrees. So are you still using it or did you go back to traditional heaters?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the difference in losing the heat stored in the glass, rocks etc then gaining it back again. Wonder why? Seems like in a water bed the temp always stayed even although I probably wouldn’t have noticed 1 or 2 degrees. So are you still using it or did you go back to traditional heaters?
I went back to traditional heaters for stability. I have alot of nems and they don't react kindly to big swings of any type.

Nem Factory.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%

Back