Who keeps multiple tangs?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs! I have a 700l 6 foot system and I have a regal and yellow tang in there which are best friends :D I want to add a small naso and powder blue tang but I'm concerned about them getting along.

Anyone have experience with this combo of tangs?

I have quite a lot of rock and hiding places. Do you think I'll be ok?
1612725198279623718847956768247.jpg
16127252423488185957428682647096.jpg

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would say put the power blue in last. Mine thinks he is the boss and wants to bully any new tangs. The mirror trick works on him and I leave it up for a while. Might want to add the new ones you want together so it can draw and aggressive behavior away from just one new guy.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say put the power blue in last. Mine thinks he is the boss and wants to bully any new tangs. The mirror trick works on him and I leave it up for a while. Might want to add the new ones you want together so it can draw and aggressive behavior away from just one new guy.
Yes I have a 4 foot qt tank with a mesh divider in the middle so I plan to QT them at the same time and add them together.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would think you will be fine in your qt tank. It will be when you add them to your dt with already divided territory.
Thats what I'm worried about. I wondered what people think my chances are of harmony :S I have quite a few caves and hiding spots so maybe they will clash for a short while then all settle in to their own....I hope

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think you will be fine after some time. Use the mirror trick when first put in dt and add new ones together and you should be fine. Assuming they are close to the same size.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT is a real jerk and chases everything in the tank -- the Yellow in particular. I am so tempted to move my inch thick orange shoulder in there to cool his jets. He is able to keep my frag tank "tang gang" in line just fine.

It is difficult to guess about the ultimate group behavior, but pretty easy to suppose the PBT will be the boss.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a chance with individual fish but you should be ok. As they grow things might change. PBT can be awesome but seems they will become a jerk at some point.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find acclimation boxes can help. Let the fish all get to know each other and feel more comfortable.
Good shout. I also heard releasing the fish in the dark can help too. Arnt aclimstion boxes stressful for the fish in the box?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good shout. I also heard releasing the fish in the dark can help too. Arnt aclimstion boxes stressful for the fish in the box?
Yes it’s stressful but no more then moving and holding in qt. I keep them in the box for a few hours or so. Give time for fish in the box to adjust and less stressed and see how tank mates react. I open the lid and let the fish leave when ready and gives a place they feel safe to hang around while adjusting. It help a lot

Multiple tangs need in a box might be hard if not a big box or multiple. Can put put dividers to be safe in a box. Doubt you would have aggression issues in a box being stressful like qt with multiples but make sure they have enough room and not packed

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s stressful but no more then moving and holding in qt. I keep them in the box for a few hours or so. Give time for fish in the box to adjust and less stressed and see how tank mates react. I open the lid and let the fish leave when ready and gives a place they feel safe to hang around while adjusting. It help a lot

Multiple tangs need in a box might be hard if not a big box or multiple. Can put put dividers to be safe in a box. Doubt you would have aggression issues in a box being stressful like qt with multiples but make sure they have enough room and not packed
OK thanks ill give it a go!

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tangs in a 75 and they all get along fine. 1 convict 1 tomini 2 yellows. Never had any fights or anyone picking on another. They were also added a separate times.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs! I have a 700l 6 foot system and I have a regal and yellow tang in there which are best friends :D I want to add a small naso and powder blue tang but I'm concerned about them getting along.

Anyone have experience with this combo of tangs?

I have quite a lot of rock and hiding places. Do you think I'll be ok?
1612725198279623718847956768247.jpg
16127252423488185957428682647096.jpg
I have a yellow, purple and hippo tang. As for the 2 you want to add the naso will be the easiest from my experience since they don't seem to get harassed by other tangs even when added to established tangs. The powder blue is another story, your gonna most likely experience aggression towards it from your tangs, but as long as its a tough fish and eating well it will eventually be accepted but it will get harassed from time to time by your most potentially aggressive tang the yellow one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back