Who lives the closest & farthest from a saltwater fish store? What do you do if you live FAR away?

How far away from a saltwater fish store do you live?

• 0 - 5 miles

Votes: 197 30.3%
  • 6 - 25 miles

Votes: 237 36.5%
  • 26 - 50 miles

Votes: 98 15.1%
  • 51 - 100 miles

Votes: 61 9.4%
  • 101 - 150 miles

Votes: 21 3.2%
  • 151 - 250 miles

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • 250 miles+

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • 500 miles+

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 1000 miles+ (you better post in the thread)

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 2500+ miles (where the heck are you)

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nope. Hidden Reef. It’s not that close, but worth the drive. I think the last time I bought the big Red Sea blue bucket there it was under $50. BRS sells it for $80.
oh, ok. Never been there, but it's right over the Bristol Bridge! I will have to check it out.

Mechanic907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
living in alaska we have few LFS that support salt water, the closest is 52 mile away from my home, but it is worth the drive the staff is always helpful and they usually have a relay good selection of stuff.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two competent LFS 0-5 miles from my home. There are 9 shops 6-25 miles from my home. Problem is they pretty much carry all the same stuff. I’m all about supporting the LFS small business. But for a more serious reefer. Unfortunately online seems to where it’s at.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in northern illinois about 40 minutes west of Rockford. So it’s a 40 minute ride to petco. There’s one other shop I go to called Wayne’s Feeds. But saltwater stuff pretty limited there too. I do most of my shopping online. BRS, WWC, and Liveaquaria are my favorites.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Petco and an aquarium shop in town, 18 miles (half hour). Neither, in my opinion, can qualify to be called a saltwater fish store, just because they have a few saltwater fish. The nearest quality store is in Missoula, 130 miles if I want some good Saltwater advice and equipment, or Spokane, Wa, 250 miles, has a few good stores.

Fazzimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live 800 metres from my local Reef store. They're a great bunch of people and the store keeps getting better over time.

I hope they continue to be awesome!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one LFS that's 7 miles away and another that's just under 20 miles away. There's also a larger one that's about an hour away (~50 miles) which I've been meaning to visit.

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rI have a ten-hour round trip drive to Edmonton for the closest LFS -- about 1000km of driving for mysis and the like. The only way to do this is to make a day of it, but I still end up driving in the dark on airbanks, AKtwo lane highways with logging trucks and moose, which is certainly not ideal, and especially in wintry weather. In addition to Human Emergency Equipment, I always travel with Fish Emergency Equipment, including styrofoam coolers, heat packs, extra bags, and I even have a small pump with a USB port.
i’m impressed by your courage! my brother was in fairbanks, AK for years, and just riding down those dark winter roads is terrifying - and. that’s w my fishies safe in TN!!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m impressed by your courage! my brother was in fairbanks, AK for years, and just riding down those dark winter roads is terrifying - and. that’s w my fishies safe in TN!!
It's fine if I can do it in a day. I made another lightning trip yesterday, spent 10 minutes at the LFS to get salt, food, an essential item that I thought was impossible to find in Canada, and phyto. I'm not going to attempt it again until the end of February when the days get longer.

Grande Prairie is only a four-hour round trip for me, and the Petsmart there sometimes has basic frozen food. I'll probably try to organize some type of order with them if I can't make my own food from the frozen food aisle at the supermarket.

saltydog81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest LFS for me is 60 miles which is roughly an hour drive. So I usually have a list of the things that I need and then when comes to livestock, I usually keep a Styrofoam container in the car, because we usually have other stops to make before heading back home.

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to have affordable options that are more likely to be healthy, I have to drive an hour south to Toronto and then decide if I want to go to FragBox, CandyCoral, Aquarium Depot, GTAReef, I'm sure there are more but the planning of a journey like that by car or TTC would be insane not even including having heavy, bulky, fragile purchases to ferry. Parking at Yorkdale and taking the TTC to Glencarin is very doable. Then I'd have to go back making the minimum round trip 3 hours without any layovers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back