Who to vote off the island?

Who should be voted off the island

• Total voters

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display is a 45g JBJ AIO and I've just finished the startup cycle on a 15g AIO that I tore down and restarted. I want to make some room in my main DT and am trying to figure out who I should move. I do want to add a Royal Gramma which I think will have to go in the 15g to avoid aggression with the Gold Assessors. My initial thought is to move at least 1 (or maybe all 3?) of the Green Chromis.

Below is my first stock list for the DT:
  • Banghaii Cardinal (1)
  • Ocellaris clownfish (2)
  • Neon Goby (1)
  • Matted Filefish (1)
  • Green Chromis (3)
  • Gold Assessor Basslet (3)
  • Purple Firefish (1)
  • Green Mandarin Dragonet (1)
Who do you guys think should be voted off the 45g island and put into the 15g?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go bangaii as they don't move about too much so wouldn't mind a smaller tank. The same could be said about the firefish but the chromis would benefit from staying where they are now as would the others imo.

This

And, you can try the royal gramma with an acclimation box and see what happens. Neither species is very aggressive and I've seen both kept in small groups (like your three), although in bigger tanks. There's a chance they could tolerate each other, and if not you can put him in the 15g or re-home him.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like the cardinal is definitely moving out. He's been getting a little aggressive lately so that may actually not be bad idea.

My thought with moving the chromis was because they were getting a little wild in the tank, but that could be from Captain (the cardinal) being a bit of a butthead lately.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

And, you can try the royal gramma with an acclimation box and see what happens. Neither species is very aggressive and I've seen both kept in small groups (like your three), although in bigger tanks. There's a chance they could tolerate each other, and if not you can put him in the 15g or re-home him.

I love this idea because I would really prefer for the royal gramma to be in the larger tank. I'll have to give this a shot and see how it goes.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought with moving the chromis was because they were getting a little wild in the tank.

The tank size is a bit small for a group of chromis, especially a small group. Chromis tend to be a little nasty to each other while establishing dominance. In a smaller tank and a smaller group, the aggression is harder to escape. With a larger group, it's more spread out and a larger tank has more swim space and hiding spots. There's a good chance that you'll end up with just one eventually:/

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is a bit small for a group of chromis, especially a small group. Chromis tend to be a little nasty to each other while establishing dominance. In a smaller tank and a smaller group, the aggression is harder to escape. With a larger group, it's more spread out and a larger tank has more swim space and hiding spots. There's a good chance that you'll end up with just one eventually:/

This was my hesistancy about moving them as well. I had contemplated moving one out but I know aggression can get worse with even numbers.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my hesistancy about moving them as well. I had contemplated moving one out but I know aggression can get worse with even numbers.

Yea, I wouldn't. I'd either re-home two and keep a single in the current tank, re-home one and keep a single in each tank, or keep all three and just hope they don't kill each other off.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captain (the Banghaii) was successfully relocated an he is ANGRY. I put the trap in the tank on Thursday and no one would go near it, even when food was put in. Yesterday I was chilling on the couch and I happened to notice Captain being all curious and exploring it. Snuck up, pulled the string, and boom! He's pretty angry at me even though he's currently got the other tank to himself at the moment. (Sorry for the crappy photo quality...I need to clean the inside and outside glass).

IMG_2211.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back