Who wins fight between encrusting monti and pavona?

poojan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m having a bit of a dilemma in my 20g I have a rock (see pic) which has a growing a encrusting “habanero” monti purchased from wwc, I mention this cause the background color is a more orange than some of the pictures of habanero monti I’ve seen not sure if it may be a separate sub species etc. but the same rock also has a pavona colony which has taken off over the past six months. Bought the pavona as one of my beginner friendly corals bout two years ago now, I know some “begginer” friendly corals are just bound to be hyper aggressive is this one of those cases? Now they are getting close and I expect in a few weeks to a month will make contact. Anyone have experience with these two I’d like to leave the pavona if possible but Do not want to lose the monti. Is this a whole colony die off situation or will they more damage tissue on each other’s edge? Is one just absolutely dominant?
Here’s a look at the rock in question: (please excuse the algae tank has been fallow on cuc since I found some pyramid snails a few weeks back)
3EB1D124-AF7E-41B7-B2DD-A05F13FEE234.jpeg
315756BF-9696-4750-BC4F-6F09E9325A5B.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So WWC is calling OG sunset montipora- "habanero monti" now?

;Facepalm lol, just like they are selling an everyday rainbow bubble tip anemone as "Hawaiian punch"

WWC needs to calm down a lil' lol

Not 100% sure who will win the battle, but Id put my money on the monti.

Also, looks like you could use some scarlett hermit crabs for that hair algae.

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the Monti I've got the same sort of problem at the moment and the pavona is loosening
The GHA may also become an issue if your not dealing with that

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti for sure. I've got an ORA mint chip pavona right next to a sunset monti. While the pavona stings the leading edge every night, the monti continues to grow into the pavona's space.

While a monti doesn't pack a punch when it comes to coral warfare, what it does do is grow like no other coral. They overcome being stung by just growing so fast the offending coral cannot sting it fast enough.

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer I take that back (just read the rest of your post.) Yea especially spongodes. Just up and over.
But pavona wins the sting battle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back