Encrusting Pavona, or Leptoseris?

Lingwendil

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
534
Reaction score
447
Location
Antioch, California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up recently- I want to say Pavona, but I'm conflicted. New growth has a pale lime green color, otherwise its mostly an aqua color, with a navy blue to plum color on the dark areas. Very little polyp extension, no noticeable sweepers at night. Either way, a 2" square frag for $10 was worth it for me- already seeing some growth, and it has gotten better color in the month I've had it.

430892401_7962277523790581_1554317662777058439_n.jpg
 
Kinda looks like a Mr Freeze Lepto.
After some comments it looks like Mr Freeze may actually be Pavona too?

I'm fairly convinced that it's Pavona. Either way it seems to be a nice looking and decent growth speed coral, so looking forward to seeing it grow.

Thanks guys!
 
There's a significant amount of "named" Pavonas that are actually Leptos and vice versa. Also, according to Reefs.com they're the same species anyway.

https://reefs.com/pavona-leptoseris-dang-coral/
 
Well, apparently the link has an inappropriate word that was autocorrected so it won't work.
 
While it is true that Pavona and Leptoseris (and Gardineroseris too, for that matter) are polyphyletic and congeneric, the species this coral is (P. cf varians) is currently classified within Pavona.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new