Who's ruining two gyres and two vortechs?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knocking your post at all but - Ive never understood the Gyre to Vortech flow comparison, like comparing a carrot to a potato - The gyres footprint is much bigger than the vortech, so has to give off more flow by standard logic..... Always thought the main reason for going Vortechs for every one was primarily aesthetics followed by flow and controllability. Gyre will always dish out more flow than a Vortech, but its an ugly old eyesore in anything less than a very large tank.
Fair enough. I guess it comes down to what is more important to you...Aesthetics or performance. For me, I want the healthiest acros possible and for that, the gyres win hands down in terms of providing the best flow. Also, price is not to be ignored. 2 MP60s will cost you $1400. 2 XF350 Gyres with a controller will cost you around $500. After having owned both, I can tell you the $500 gyres are the clear winners. I personally think they are less of an eyesore than a giant mp60 and they are easier to clean around. The new controllers have a couple of preprogrammed flow cycles included that I think are perfect and I see no need to change constantly, so the controllability thing is also not a problem for me. To each his/her own though.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I just ordered the wave engine through my favorite local shop and I'm eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I'm watching all the vids, especially the ones integrating with the apex.
@CoralVue any news on Vectra support? Is this something that's going to happen or should we just scratch it off our to do list?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
66FEC9C5-7487-433B-AD73-B41BA764380D.jpeg

Ready to get my flow on!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I guess it comes down to what is more important to you...Aesthetics or performance. For me, I want the healthiest acros possible and for that, the gyres win hands down in terms of providing the best flow. Also, price is not to be ignored. 2 MP60s will cost you $1400. 2 XF350 Gyres with a controller will cost you around $500. After having owned both, I can tell you the $500 gyres are the clear winners. I personally think they are less of an eyesore than a giant mp60 and they are easier to clean around. The new controllers have a couple of preprogrammed flow cycles included that I think are perfect and I see no need to change constantly, so the controllability thing is also not a problem for me. To each his/her own though.
Agree. I have 4 eyesores in my 120. 2 6105's on the sides, used.
2 6095's on the back wall, new.
I was thinking of gyres where I have the 6105's.
Found 4 used for $300.
I went with good used equipment at a very reduced price.
Guess I will live with my eyesores for awhile lol.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 is running 4 gyres and 2 mp10’s. I love the hydros. I am trying to work the pumps around to get rid of dead areas. I have two 330’s on the back wall and two 350’s on either end. The MPs do sweeper duty on the front and back floors.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 120 is running 4 gyres and 2 mp10’s. I love the hydros. I am trying to work the pumps around to get rid of dead areas. I have two 330’s on the back wall and two 350’s on either end. The MPs do sweeper duty on the front and back floors.
Nice! I managed to get the two gyres running before the lights turned off, so I'll have to connect the mp40's tomorrow. It took a minute to connect to Wi-Fi (several tries) but I got it done. Time to dig deeper into the videos on programming.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, the gyres are running but they're really weak compared to the native controller. I have the pump selected to 330, but it doesn't seem the same. I tried setting it to the 350 and it was full on power. What's going on? @CoralVue

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2x 330s - sides - Random Flow
2x MP10wqd - back walls - Reef Crest 100%

I'm blasting those MFers

Reefer 250
I have mine (330's) set to 100% on sps reef, but they seem really weak, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here? I'm about to connect my MP40's, so we'll see?
Also, they are really loud now.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, everything is connected and playing nicely. I love that all my pumps, except my vectra are connected to the same controller. I want to thank Carlos for helping me through the setup and troubleshooting process. I'm going to start another thread about my setup and the issues I encountered. CV customer support (especially Carlos) is simply amazing!
7A8D35B7-7ECE-4E70-BC20-521E52FAFE94.jpeg

Just a quick pic, apologies for the dark image.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to update this combo of vortechs and gyres. I really, really love this combo! The fact that I can set a nutrient transport/export mode and run it for short durations throughout the day so fluently is pure awesome! My fish are freaking a little, but there's so much detritus that's being kicked up, I'm super happy to get it to the skimmer more frequently. Thank you guys for making a great pump controller, it's exactly what I needed and desired!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just checking for those of us using vortechs with the WE, are yours turning off during "water change" mode? Also, during feeding mode, I would love to have the vortechs barely turn like before, is this possible? They're running during feeding mode, but at a much higher rate than before (using ESL). Both modes are being activated via my apex. My gyres shut off during feed mode and water change mode, but it would be great if both vortechs and gyres could barely run during feed mode initiated by the apex. @CoralVue
Really loving the flow!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back