OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed minimal if it's anew system. Once your tank develops other creatures (spaghetti worms, feather dusters, bristle worms and etc) that a will eat nutrients, you can get away with feeding more including broadcasting.

To start, I would only suggest spot feeding any LSP corals by shutting everything off and lowering your light output (maybe only blue light) and using a baster feeder of some sorts. 6-10 mins of no flow gives most all LPS enough time to gobble down what you provide.

I'd skip on additives for SPS for now. They will be fine eating your fish poop in any flow condition but I like to slow mine down to allow their polyps to extend a little more, just be sure you're feeding your fish a good diet with a mix of nutrients.

If you do feed, check to make sure any foods left over are swept up in the currents/flow or make sure you have a good clean up crew of crabs,shrimp or snails. Clean up crews are very important for a new system so get a good one.
thanks mate iv not added clean up crew yet as not got any algae and not much browning of sand because flow is quite strong"

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using apps, turn off return pump and turning mp10s to feed mode. When feeding corals I turn off return and unplug mp10s . LPS are fed pellets.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't turn anything off. My fish devour everything with gusto. If something makes it to the overflow, well that is good for my sump creatures, since I don't use socks. Only time I turn off pumps is if I am specifically feeding corals.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought wifi plugs off amazon and plug the return pump into it so at feeding time I go into the app from my phone and turn off just the return and set a timer for it to come back on automatically
Holy crap I didn't even think of this! I bought a bunch of those plugs for lamps around the house but the wife hates them so they don't get used. They're going under the tank tonight lol

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i'm feeding my fish, I leave the pumps on and have a hand on style 3d printed feeding ring Ill add to the tank during feeding time, its about and inch into the tank water, perfect for frozen food/pellets. When im feeding my corals, return pump and my wavemakers go off.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this coral feeding you speak of LOL? My tank gets Reef Frenzy, alkalinity, and calcium (occasionally a manual correction for magnesium but rare).

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another for nothing off. Too much effort to hit the fed button on the apex. I'm so lazy

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed which is better for the tank overall, so i turn everything off. It also lets coral get a chance to feed. Especially on products like reef roids. In current it would all just be blown away.
You also lose more food if you leave everything on since your actively still running your filtration. That leads to sitting in your sock(if you use one) and breaking down turning into nitrates/phosphates.
This is why most pumps have a feed mode, its better to have no flow to as little flow as possible during feeding.

Now some times broadcast feeding is better, especially with picky fish, fish that hide, or hard to get places where an anemone,fish,coral, etc may be. Some coral also feed in high flow, so need the pumps on.

So really there is no wrong answer, but turning off your pumps and spot feeding is better for your water quality and makes it easier for most coral/fish to eat.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-
i had a hilarious meme of otto from fish called wanda slapping the fish tank water with his flyswatter. funnier when in motion i cant seem to post it

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back