Why a “Poking Stick” is an Essential Piece of the Reefkeeper’s Toolbox.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Creeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this acrylic rod for a couple years now. Picked it up at BRS with my reward points. I use it almost everyday. Mostly to chase my cleaner shrimp away when feeding corals. F7FB8EB9-3204-4277-A35F-19FB2FECE56D.jpeg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It snowed here in Florida once. I remember the blizzard of 86 !
Hey I'm cheap ! when I see someone throwing away blinds. I stop to see if the rods are still there.
I stole the one off the bathroom blinds.still waiting to hear "Michael"shouted by my wife from the bathroom.i'll just shout back "didn't do it"

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up! :)

My poking stick is a length of hollow rigid air line tubing. It doubles as a retrieving tool. I run a loop of monofilament fishing line through the length of the tube, leaving a loop at one end and enough of the line to pull out and cinch the end with the loop. I could retrieve a fallen frag at the bottom of a 29" deep tank with minimal contact with the water. Very handy.

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg
That is genius! Thanks for sharing.

Great write up @nautical_nathaniel :) I’m going to have to retire my rusting 10” tweezers. I even have a couple packs of chopsticks that have been waiting for their purpose in life...reefing!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have always used a poking stick and I also have a wooden one with a bent needle at the end. I use it for all sorts of things including pushing a piece of clam under my long spined urchin as those spines are so long, there is no other way to get past the spines.
I also have a "few" of these that I can poke or suck things out with.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha!! I love this article!! I actually have a few different poking devices for different purposes, but mostly I use my neon green acrylic rod. :D

My poking stick is a length of hollow rigid air line tubing. It doubles as a retrieving tool. I run a loop of monofilament fishing line through the length of the tube, leaving a loop at one end and enough of the line to pull out and cinch the end with the loop. I could retrieve a fallen frag at the bottom of a 29" deep tank with minimal contact with the water. Very handy.

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg
LOLOL!! This is a high-tech poking/grabbing stick for sure!

Gahngoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg
This is awesome! Very nice!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back