Why all the feather dusters?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a JBJ 45 gal AIO set up. My reef is very clean with absolutely no algae. My water tests for nitrate and phosphate is always zero. I do feed with very small mysis shrimp so maybe small food particulates is feeding the tube worms; there's also a few sponge species in the back of my tank as well that I assume filter from the water. I personally like having the worms and sponge in the back of my tank; they are cool to look at and feed on what is missed by my corals, fish, and filter media.

Is the presence of the tube worms normal for a very low flow/low light area like that of the overflow boxes of an AIO? Or can there be something I am doing wrong like overfeeding or not running a clean enough reef?

20220623_201858.jpg 20220623_203012.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bonus filtration, look calcium based... :cool:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a JBJ 45 gal AIO set up. My reef is very clean with absolutely no algae. My water tests for nitrate and phosphate is always zero. I do feed with very small mysis shrimp so maybe small food particulates is feeding the tube worms; there's also a few sponge species in the back of my tank as well that I assume filter from the water. I personally like having the worms and sponge in the back of my tank; they are cool to look at and feed on what is missed by my corals, fish, and filter media.

Is the presence of the tube worms normal for a very low flow/low light area like that of the overflow boxes of an AIO? Or can there be something I am doing wrong like overfeeding or not running a clean enough reef?

20220623_201858.jpg 20220623_203012.jpg
I never had these growing until I started dosing CheatoGro trace elements for my Ulva. Then the fan worm and pineapple sponge growth went wild. The coralline growth went nuts too. I take this as a very good indication, like a canary in a coal mine singing happily.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back