Why all the hate for API test kits????

Tcdrummajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slightly more expensive ones are more accurate, and where small margins of error are so significant, ppl pay the extra. Also the more expensive test kits give you a much more exact number, vs the large deviations for api. You tend to get what you pay for in this hobby
I agree but not entirely. API QUICK STRIPS works great if you not ARE NOT a beginner and need quick numbers. I use only API products and couldn’t be happier. I learned from my friend who has beautiful tanks the last 14 years I’ve known her. She only uses API and actually gets mad if I mention the more expensive tests that do the same thing. So far so good for me as wells d I don’t think I will EVER switch. Not ever. One thing I’ve learned about this hobby though is that to each his or her own and no two tanks are ever alike.

Tcdrummajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they are horribly inaccurate
I would not agree with that statement. Not in the slightest. Does not compute LOL. Tests: They all have errors. API has less in my opinion. I wouldn’t use another brand just to go broke for the same results.

Tcdrummajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef keeping community is not too distant cousins with the car community.

Those with a v6 trash the "4-bangers". Those with a v8 trash the v6. Those with a mid engine trash the v8s. all the way up the chain.

API is affordable so naturally it's trashed by those that spend thousands on testing to justify and make themselves feel better about it.
+1, KUDOS. Couldn’t agree more.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$21 for master test kit in america and i paid £ 26.99 at local lfs but close to £ 25 on amazon but then got p and p but either way $21 =£ 15 so in england we paying 40% more on test kit and just over 50% more on a wave maker for exact same item/ model i found out in other thread earlier .so unless im missing something you guys can get like great hobby grade test kits for same price as api test kit i pay ( which is below par and entry level alot saying) im full of envy especially when it gets to price of tanks and equipment costing £ 2- £ 500 i think i want to cry ha ha.
I always used api test kits but had freshwater for 9 years and only saltwater for 2 months so really new and only wanting softies and few lps corals few months down the line so unsure at present if want to buy another test kit.well which i probably will do as was going buy api reef master test kit also but what i should be saying is i feel i got ripped off getting sold " api master test kit for saltwater " when told lfs i got freshwater version and still in date for 2 years yet and after bought it and both colour cards like identical and watching youtube videos of testing same tank water with both test kits the results was same testing freshwater and saltwater with both tests.then went back lfs month later and told them watched videos and colour cards same,another staff member said to me yeah just freshwater has low range ph also lol.( wiah i spoke this member when was buying saltwater test kit ha ha ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-022845_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-022845_Chrome.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210502-022727_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-022727_Google.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210502-010353_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-010353_Chrome.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20210502-004725_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-004725_Chrome.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20210502-004739_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-004739_Google.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 31

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont hate them they give you a ball park idea of what you're parameters are . If I use one and see something is off I use a more dialed in accurate test
I'm of the opinion that ball park is what you are going to get with any home test. People are under the illusion that because Hanna gives a digital readout that it is more accurate. In reality it is simply reading the color instead of your own eye doing it. If you suffer from color blindness, Hanna is a good option, but if you are precise with API, you can get just as close. The problem with API is you need to be consistant with your methodology.

Hold the vial the same distance from the chart using the same light source at the same viewing angle every time. Be precise when you fill the vial with your sample water. Pass the vial across the chart and the color that is least visible through the vial is the right one.

Again, these home tests are ballpark at best. If you must have precision, use one of the lab kits where you send a water sample in. The downsides are they are expensive and you have to wait for the results.

Just my opinion.

Rallic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef keeping community is not too distant cousins with the car community.

Those with a v6 trash the "4-bangers". Those with a v8 trash the v6. Those with a mid engine trash the v8s. all the way up the chain.

API is affordable so naturally it's trashed by those that spend thousands on testing to justify and make themselves feel better about it.
those with stacked rotary engines lol at all the rest. some of us gear guys are reef keepers also ;] but in a car if one engine is good then stacking 4 of them is pay to win hahaha

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back