Why are 40 gallon tanks called "Breeder Tanks"?

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see them every time I go to just about any of the "big box" pet stores and have always wanted to know. Is there something special about 40 gallons and breeding fish? Are the dimensions different than a traditional rectangular tank? (taller, shorter)

Thanks,

Josh

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I think @Joshua Jordan is asking why are they shorter and wider?

Here's what I know...could be more reasons than this:

Increased surface area so as to allow increased gas exchange....more crucial during breeding activities.

(Breeding was once a popular aspect of fish keeping. Read some older books or fish mag's.)

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... They width size is not really a matter. Just that when it's shorter for the same volume, they would be wider.

Overall, I just found that shorter the tank, easier for me to work inside the tank. We really have to "work" inside the tank. They are not there for us to enjoy or to look at from the side like the normal aquarium. We have to taking care of the fish. Taking them out or transfer them. Cleaning up the stuff inside the tank, etc. Since all the breeders and grown out tank are all hooked up to the same water with giant skimmers and giant refugium, gas exchange is never an issue.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Mr. Joshua Jordan.... if you're still around, I want to say thanks for this post.... google brought me back here, but it's been driving me nuts.

DanPlanted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To jump back in... There are at least three different dimensions for a 40 gallon tank. Regular, Breeder, and Economy. (http://www.aquariumindustrial.com/standard-aquariums/)

Why the 40B stuck and not a regular or breeder, I don't know. Presumably, people preferred the dimensions of the breeder. Either that or the breeder was easier to manufacture so they made more of them. I would have to guess some of the naming just boils down to whoever the first guy was to make that size at scale. Maybe someone at Metaframe or Odell decided which tanks would be "economy" or "breeder".

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back