Why are Reef Tanks sooo Impossible to Keep?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Someone asked about an Acro, so here was their answer and a tour of just one of our display tanks. Since it's Wednesday and I'm bored I thought I'd stir the pot.

210 gallon with 3 Ocean Revive LEDs-10 hours all blue plus 1 hour full spectrum, kalkwasser dripped into sump with freshwater replacement using basic dosing pump-dosed for 5 mins 5 times daily, DIY algae scrubber, small biopellet reactor, DIY Chaeto reactor, weekly 5 gallon water changes and glass cleaning--15~20minutes spent weekly on maintenance, ESV salt. Daily feedings with live pods, rotifers, brine shrimp, and TDO pellets.

This tank illustrates the point that without question reef aquariums can not be successful without controllers, expensive lighting, endless other gizmos, and constant problems and tinkering. o_O

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Would you plz elaborate on “Full Spectrum”?
Thanks

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank illustrates the point that without question reef aquariums can not be successful without controllers, expensive lighting, endless other gizmos, and constant problems and tinkering. o_O
Umm, did you mean to say it this way? Can not be successful? Sarcasm? I think that tank looks pretty awesome!

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, did you mean to say it this way? Can not be successful? Sarcasm? I think that tank looks pretty awesome!

It should be obvious from the video that there is no way in 6 months to have a reef tank like this without exoensive lighting, multiple controllers, probes, and dosers, and constant problems :rolleyes:

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Would you plz elaborate on “Full Spectrum”?
Thanks

Ocean Revive t-247 fixtures have an all blue channel and a full spectrum channel with white, green, red, etc. Looks ugly to me with that channel, but the corals do well with about an hour a day with it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back