Why are round aquariums not more popular?

jhorrocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had upwards of probably 20 tanks over the last 15+ years and after observing my new 185g, I am wondering why there are not more round aquariums out there. I’m thinking the cons would be price, lighting, tank location, tank stand ect... But your fish have an unlimited linear path with no walls. I watch the tangs do circles in the tank and it’s nice that it’s not a swim 6’ stop and turn around deal like on my previous tanks.

I guess my point is, is that I think a 75g round aquarium would be much more suitable for a tang then a 75g traditional aquarium.

Any thoughts?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

Price and placement in the home are two major reasons.

There was a guy on another forum a few years ago that had a shallow 110 round that was amazing and his fish seemed like they were playing in the videos.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think perhaps because from the perspective of the fish inside square aquariums are probably very similar, rounding off 1 or 2" in the corners aren't really significant from the patterns I have observed. Of course round also mean acrylic so that is more money and you also have more manufacturing costs and quite a bit of visual distortion. Even if the fish hug the glass once could put rounded inserts in square tank cornerd to round it. Just seems like more money for less area.
8211F8BE-010D-4F12-8AD0-516684B41F7A.png

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Grye vertical on the back of the tank and it whips current around the tank in a circle. Another advantage in my opinion.
Yeah I thought about that but I’m not a huge fan of gyres. When we built this house I almost did a big round tank in the entrance but it would have been fish only and probably a closed loop although I’m not a huge fan of those either. I know when we go to SeaWorld my son loves chasing the fish around in circles. He could probably spend all day there.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for reef tanks, linear and horizontal feet lend better for a aquascaping in my opinion.

I do think the previous statements about cost, location and that most are acrylic.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me the visual distortion would always be an issue.

Very limiting from an aquascape point of view. Like a cube tank they can be great but restrictive in how you can layout the rockwork. Even more so with a round tank where you want the fish to be able to do laps uninterrupted.

in my mind the best execution would be a completely freestanding tank with full 360 degree walk around. This would force you into a column aquascape with an integrated closed loop. Could be awesome but certainly not what everyone wants or has room for.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is a little distortion on the sides. But I would say 85% of the view from any direction looks normal.

That means 15% is not.
I do like round tanks for concept tanks, however I would not want my main display to be round.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my 1st round tank and should be getting it in a few weeks. It is supposed to be a 210g acrylic.

Any tips on owning a round tank?

How’s the cleaning? I heard it may be difficult.

What about lighting? Do you angle your lights toward center a little to not have light bleed too much outside of tank?

There should be a round tank thread for sure. It was hard to find much info before buying.

Thanks,
Josh

OP
OP
jhorrocks

jhorrocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my 1st round tank and should be getting it in a few weeks. It is supposed to be a 210g acrylic.

Any tips on owning a round tank?

How’s the cleaning? I heard it may be difficult.

What about lighting? Do you angle your lights toward center a little to not have light bleed too much outside of tank?

There should be a round tank thread for sure. It was hard to find much info before buying.

Thanks,
Josh

I think flow is your friend for sure. My tank with the coral insert and canopy I built for it makes it tricky to clean. I did build a feeding tube that allows for easy feeding so I never have to get in the tank.

I would for sure not have a reef with this setup.

I did build a saltwater mixing station with pump that drains tank and fills tank... I can change 40 gallons in about 5 mins so I plan on doing frequent water changes to help with keeping tank clean. Not sure your depth but mine happens to be 3’ deep which alone makes it tough.

No light bleed really. Depth of tank probably helps with this.... not sure.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back