Why are round aquariums not more popular?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have the option of a rectangle with curved ends. Fish like sharks will swim round and round with out stubbing their noses.

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have (had) a large acrylic cylinder in the lobby of my place of work. Its about 28 ft high and probably 8 ft diameter. total water volume was 10,000 gal. it was made of three sections of acrylic fused together and unfortunately one of the seams is starting to separate.
It had to drained and now will be removed at some point because the cost to repair was going to be extremely expensive.

cylinder tank.jpg

OP
OP
jhorrocks

jhorrocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually curious about it, did you buy or DIY it? I'm trying to find a good way to feed my bottom dweller fish since my damsels take over everywhere else.

DIY... I’m trying to figure out the best way to feed nori and my frozen home blend. It does defrost my cubes nicely. Still trying to tweet it.

OP
OP
jhorrocks

jhorrocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have (had) a large acrylic cylinder in the lobby of my place of work. Its about 28 ft high and probably 8 ft diameter. total water volume was 10,000 gal. it was made of three sections of acrylic fused together and unfortunately one of the seams is starting to separate.
It had to drained and now will be removed at some point because the cost to repair was going to be extremely expensive.

cylinder tank.jpg

Where is this located???

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
While Spherical tanks are a neat concept and to me eye catching, they are not an ideal unit when it comes to filtration which in many cases requires going through a floor or at least through the tank bottom to a filter chamber or sump chamber to filter and return to tank

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g 3/4 cylinder glass tank, I found it difficult to maintain. The glass was difficult to clean. I never found a curved magnet cleaner that worked properly. I loved when it was setup and clean though.

abraha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 160 gallon 3/4 cylinder in glass. Lots of challenges: 32 inch high(getting armpits wet often), some distortion, limited stand space, difficult to clean. But it also looks awesome and I was aware of most of the challenges going into it. I guess you have to take the bad with the good. Definitely not recommended as a first tank.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the looks of round tanks. However my wife wants a corner quarter round tank. So I guess it’s happy wife happy life. I just need to find a Quarter round tank now.

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium has a large round tank when you first enter the lobby of the aquarium building. It's neat to watch. I had a bowfront tank for several years though and I will say I'll never get another- didn't like the distortion.

abraha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the looks of round tanks. However my wife wants a corner quarter round tank. So I guess it’s happy wife happy life. I just need to find a Quarter round tank now.

You should look into a 3/4 cylinder for a corner tank. Fits really good and looks awesome!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round/column and bowl type aquariums also carry the distinct risk of concave/vex beam focusing of window sunlight to cause fires. There's five or ten searchable examples= doh moments.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest reason for me is cleaning is difficult. On glass you can be more aggressive but it is more time consuming to keep a curve clean. I would never attempt curved acrylic.

That’s what I was thinking. As far as I know, nobody makes a curved mag cleaner. I think round tanks are very cool but more trouble than they’re worth.

Vuuduu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 150g half circle tank, visually I loved it, flow and light wasn’t a problem at all, flow just seemed to follow the front curve wherever, might even prefer the flow over rectangle tank.
My main gripe, and the reason I got rid of it, is the curved glass was a pain to clean, I much prefer the flat front of a rectangular tank.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not like the distorted view with bow front or cylinders. Have had them both, and I kind of grew out of them per say. I think I get a much cleaner look of my corals and fish on flat panel glass. JMO

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back