Why are there so many ich/parasite remedies out there.. and most supposedly do not work?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do most the products provide just temporarily relief but not really cure it, even though they advertise it cures it? So many things out there Ich attack, rid-ich, paraguard, ick cure, x-ich, rapid cure, quick cure, etc.

I've read seachem forums and they're employees are very insistent that paraguard cures ich if used as directed, but I've never read an account on the forums that said it actually works.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look around these forums, everyone wants a quick reef safe fix that doesn't make them catch fish or go fallow. So people throw money at these products hoping they work. Lot of products in this hobby that are questionable at best, but people swear they cured this or fixed that.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local drug store and look at all of the "cold remedies" on the shelf. We all know that there is no cure for the common cold, yet billions of dollars are spent on these products. They may relieve some of the symptoms, but they won't cure the cold. Fortunately, most colds are not deadly. Good marketers know how to sucker us in.

Likewise, there is no reef safe cure for ich and many other fish diseases, yet the marketers are preying on our fears and desperation to get us to buy these products. And buy them we do. This is why they are still being sold.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said on both accounts ^^^ I can't really add to it except to reiterate that most of these products will address some of the symptoms or boost the immune system of the fish so that they can suppress the infection, but the parasite is still living in the tank and can take control any time the fish's immune system lowers again.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with all of the above; perfectly stated.

If you notice, most of these products and their mfgs like to use words such as controls, treats or reduces to describe their "reef safe" product. They'll never outright claim that it eradicates or kills any parasites. The devil is always in the details. ;)

This is why I don't especially like going to aquarium trade shows. Just give it to me straight up, what you think your product can and cannot do. Every real medication has pros, cons, side effects. Provide me with at least the active ingredients so I can research those chemicals/drugs. But don't insult my intelligence with a bunch of hype, fluff and razzle dazzle that has no real substance to it. :mad:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back