Ich/Parasite Management in the Display Tank

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently 2 of my Tangs got Ich despite quarantining them with copper and praziquantel-pro. I was very worried that all my fish would die and posted a vent here. I got a ton of useful advice on how to manage it in my display and how that can mean that Ich does not have to be an automatic death sentence for the fish.

Below I summarize that information in the hopes that it’ll help others. It worked for me - after 6 days, none of the fish have visible Ich spots. Of course, this does not mean that Ich is gone from my system. However, by using the below tips, I hope to keep it at bay for a long time.

To reiterate, Ich management does not typically get rid of the parasites. It slows down their ability to reproduce thus preventing their ability to multiply at such rapid pace that they overwhelm your fishes’ ability to fight them off.

I also want to mention that most of the ideas below were provided by others on this forum, in response to my original post. Thanks to everyone who contributed, especially to @Jay Hemdal, who provided incredibly detailed information including links to papers. If you want to read that discussion in full, and see everyone’s original comments, here is the link:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-hobby-is-very-discouraging.985212/

Ich Management Tips

1 - A properly sized and placed UV.

The UV should be placed so that it takes water from the sump and returns it to the display tank (from BRSTV). I placed mine, in line, between my return pump and the display tank (DT) return. An even better set up would be to use a second return pump dedicated to the UV. This would give you the added benefit of a redundant return pump if your main one fails.

If the Ich parasites are multiplying rapidly, consider getting a very large UV, and putting a pump in the display tank itself to feed the UV. Then return the UV output back into the display - (fromGallery Aquatica TV on YouTube). This will allow a much larger volume/hr of display tank water to be passed through the UV.

Regardless of how you set it up, the flow should be adjusted so that your UV provides a dosage of 90000. At that dose, it can kill many parasitic swimmers.

Please note that UV can only kill free floating parasites. It’ll do nothing against those that are actually attached to the fish or those lying on the sand bed. This is why UV will not be able to cure fish that are heavily infected/sick. However, it’ll give them a chance to fight it off, by slowing down new parasitic attachments.

2 - Skimmer

This will also help with the removal of free floating parasites. When you have an acute outbreak, run a very wet skim so that you can capture the free floating parasites.

3 - Mechanical filtration

Replacing your filter socks/floss every other day (with sufficiently small micron rating), or using a roller filter, will also help with the removal of free floating parasites from the water column as well as keeping the water parameters in check.

4 - Skunk cleaner shrimp

They have been shown to eat tomonts (ich parasites). Also, my tangs presented themselves to the cleaner shrimp for releif, as opposed to scratching on the rocks, which seemed to have some calming/soothing benefit for them.

Ref for skunk eating tomonts: Vaughan, D.B., Grutter, A.S. & Hutson, K.S. 2018. Cleaner shrimp are a sustainable option to treat parasitic disease in farmed fish. Sci Rep 8, 13959 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-32293-6, provided by @Jay Hemdal

5 - Increased biodiversity.

There are probably other critters (pods, carnivorous snails, etc.) which also eat tomonts. I wasn’t able to identify any specific species beyond the skunk shrimp, but it would make sense. Hence mature tanks may provide a greater chance of fighting off the parasites.

6 - Vacuuming your sand bed and rocks.

This will suck up some of the parasites that are laying there. Increase the sand bed vacuuming frequency to a few times a week, when you are experiencing an acute outbreak.

7- Regular water changes. Preferably weekly or more frequently to remove free floating parasites and to improve water quality to reduce stress for your fish.

8 - Frequent feedings. Feed 3 to 5 times a day, and daily nori for the tangs/herbivores. Again, reduces stress for the fish, allowing them to channel their energy to fight the parasites instead.

When to stop managing and move to a hospital tank

The trick is to know when to bail on the management idea and go fully into treatment mode. IMO, the tipping point is seen when many of the fish show more than about 30 ich trophonts (the white spots) at any one time - then, something called propagule pressure comes into play - the ich parasite itself becomes a stressor, and the geometric progression of the reproductive phase takes over...the number of trophonts increases very rapidly and the fish get sick and start to die. [direct quote from @Jay Hemdal in the linked discussion.]

In my case, only 2 fish had spots (though both were in the 30+ per fish range) and both behaved normally and ate well. So I stuck with management and it worked.

Please comment below with any additional steps or improvements/corrections and I’ll update the post.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently 2 of my Tangs got Ich despite quarantining them with copper and praziquantel-pro. I was very worried that all my fish would die and posted a vent here. I got a ton of useful advice on how to manage it in my display and how that can mean that Ich does not have to be an automatic death sentence for the fish.

Below I summarize that information in the hopes that it’ll help others. It worked for me - after 6 days, none of the fish have visible Ich spots. Of course, this does not mean that Ich is gone from my system. However, by using the below tips, I hope to keep it at bay for a long time.

To reiterate, Ich management does not typically get rid of the parasites. It slows down their ability to reproduce thus preventing their ability to multiply at such rapid pace that they overwhelm your fishes’ ability to fight them off.

I also want to mention that most of the ideas below were provided by others on this forum, in response to my original post. Thanks to everyone who contributed, especially to @Jay Hemdal, who provided incredibly detailed information including links to papers. If you want to read that discussion in full, and see everyone’s original comments, here is the link:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-hobby-is-very-discouraging.985212/

Ich Management Tips

1 - A properly sized and placed UV.

The UV should be placed so that it takes water from the sump and returns it to the display tank (from BRSTV). I placed mine, in line, between my return pump and the display tank (DT) return. An even better set up would be to use a second return pump dedicated to the UV. This would give you the added benefit of a redundant return pump if your main one fails.

If the Ich parasites are multiplying rapidly, consider getting a very large UV, and putting a pump in the display tank itself to feed the UV. Then return the UV output back into the display - (fromGallery Aquatica TV on YouTube). This will allow a much larger volume/hr of display tank water to be passed through the UV.

Regardless of how you set it up, the flow should be adjusted so that your UV provides a dosage of 90000. At that dose, it can kill many parasitic swimmers.

Please note that UV can only kill free floating parasites. It’ll do nothing against those that are actually attached to the fish or those lying on the sand bed. This is why UV will not be able to cure fish that are heavily infected/sick. However, it’ll give them a chance to fight it off, by slowing down new parasitic attachments.

2 - Skimmer

This will also help with the removal of free floating parasites. When you have an acute outbreak, run a very wet skim so that you can capture the free floating parasites.

3 - Mechanical filtration

Replacing your filter socks/floss every other day (with sufficiently small micron rating), or using a roller filter, will also help with the removal of free floating parasites from the water column as well as keeping the water parameters in check.

4 - Skunk cleaner shrimp

They have been shown to eat tomonts (ich parasites). Also, my tangs presented themselves to the cleaner shrimp for releif, as opposed to scratching on the rocks, which seemed to have some calming/soothing benefit for them.

Ref for skunk eating tomonts: Vaughan, D.B., Grutter, A.S. & Hutson, K.S. 2018. Cleaner shrimp are a sustainable option to treat parasitic disease in farmed fish. Sci Rep 8, 13959 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-32293-6, provided by @Jay Hemdal

5 - Increased biodiversity.

There are probably other critters (pods, carnivorous snails, etc.) which also eat tomonts. I wasn’t able to identify any specific species beyond the skunk shrimp, but it would make sense. Hence mature tanks may provide a greater chance of fighting off the parasites.

6 - Vacuuming your sand bed and rocks.

This will suck up some of the parasites that are laying there. Increase the sand bed vacuuming frequency to a few times a week, when you are experiencing an acute outbreak.

7- Regular water changes. Preferably weekly or more frequently to remove free floating parasites and to improve water quality to reduce stress for your fish.

8 - Frequent feedings. Feed 3 to 5 times a day, and daily nori for the tangs/herbivores. Again, reduces stress for the fish, allowing them to channel their energy to fight the parasites instead.

When to stop managing and move to a hospital tank

The trick is to know when to bail on the management idea and go fully into treatment mode. IMO, the tipping point is seen when many of the fish show more than about 30 ich trophonts (the white spots) at any one time - then, something called propagule pressure comes into play - the ich parasite itself becomes a stressor, and the geometric progression of the reproductive phase takes over...the number of trophonts increases very rapidly and the fish get sick and start to die. [direct quote from @Jay Hemdal in the linked discussion.]

In my case, only 2 fish had spots (though both were in the 30+ per fish range) and both behaved normally and ate well. So I stuck with management and it worked.

Please comment below with any additional steps or improvements/corrections and I’ll update the post.

UV dosing used by hobbyists for marine ich is almost always too low. Here is an excerpt from Dr. Yanong at the U of Fl.:

Use of ultraviolet (UV) sterilization to kill theronts has been suggested, based on research involving Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (freshwater "ich"). The recommended UV dose for Ichthyophthirius theronts is 100,000 µWsec/cm2 (Hoffman 1974). However, UV doses required for Cryptocaryon irritans are anecdotal or extrapolated, and range from 280,000 µWsec/cm2 (industry numbers) to 800,000 µWsec/cm2 (Colorni and Burgess 1997).

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are a sustainable option to treat parasitic disease in farmed fish. Sci Rep 8, 13959 (2018)
Looking at the bar chart, I'd need to ask the authors how the "Treat" quantity would exceed the "Cont."

The host fish is Epinephelus coioides aka the Orange-Spotted Grouper which grows to a max of about 45 inches and can live in cooler deep water. It is a subtropical fish. So I wonder how this fish might relate to our ornamental marine fishes. It could well be a fair comparison.
8 - Frequent feedings
I would add to this: Include regular supplements like those found in the Fish Nutrition post. Improve their immunity by feeding live foods, frozen foods, and/or freeze-dried foods (see the post).

The proper UV exposure is important (like Jay wrote).

Tomonts are sticky. So regular/frequent cleaning of as much of the exposed aquarium walls as possible, could be added. Those stuck to rocks or sand may not be easily removed by cleaning, but may be available to Tomont-eating shrimps, and those few that may have made their way to the plumbing are out of reach.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back