Why aren't my mollies eating my hair algae/bryposis?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased some freshwater mollies that looked like the sailfin type and after successfully acclimating them to saltwater, introduced them into my reef tank, which was having bryposis/hair algae issues. Last week I tore up the tank and removed as much of the algae and other detritus as I could and did a full water change. Now, only small clumps of hair algae/bryposis remain but the mollies don't seem interested in eating them at all. I bought mollies after being told they were a sure thing for eating hair algae and bryposis so I'm a little confused why they aren't eating them. Should I wait a bit longer for them to settle in and not feed any other food? I'll also decrease feedings and my photoperiod for my other tank inhabitants to get the bryposis under control.

OP
OP
S

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding them generic marine flakes. I guess bryposis must be the lowest thing on the menu....

OP
OP
S

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought foxfaces, lettuce sea slugs, sea urchins, and sea hares at bryposis reliably? Also, doesn't the medication you mentioned also kill off corals?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back