Why buy fish online?

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would one buy fish online rather than at a local LFS?

I know there is a greater selection online, but what would make someone pay the extra fees (ex. Shipping fees) to order "common" fish like an ocellaris clownfish with "normal" coloring?

Only asking because I want to try my hand at breeding ocellaris and don't think I could sell them all to LFS. Why would anyone buy them online?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often find better quality specimens online. The two major variables you mention; shipping cost and picking out a specific fish are solved by many retailers. Often if you spend X amount shipping fee is waived. If you want to see what you’re buying look for buyers with “what you see is what you get” or “WYSIWYG” sections.

Personally, I find reputable online dealers have better fish at cheaper prices. It makes sense to me as it also skips out a middle man step.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its a 2 hour drive to an LFS. What I pay in gas to drive there and back, is what I pay in shipping fees. Plus who knows if the LFS has the fish I want? Could end up being a drive for the sake of driving. Least if I order fish in, I know I'll get what I ordered.

So in my case, shipping fees = price of gas to drive.

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten my tank started yet, but when I do, I plan to buy fish from fellow hobbyists on this forum, such as yourself, that breed as much as I can. I figure that way I'm supporting them in the hobby that they love. I know that I won't be able to do this with all of the fish I get, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to with most of the fish I'm planning on stocking.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would one buy fish online rather than at a local LFS?

I know there is a greater selection online, but what would make someone pay the extra fees (ex. Shipping fees) to order "common" fish like an ocellaris clownfish with "normal" coloring?

Only asking because I want to try my hand at breeding ocellaris and don't think I could sell them all to LFS. Why would anyone buy them online?
You will not be able to make a profit from breeding clownfish. It is fun to do but plenty of work for the money you get from it.
Larger breeders sell them for cheap to LFS. LFS in turn will buy them for cheap from you.
Some reefers with very expensive brook stock can breed and raise a small number of expensive and selected designer clowns and may turn some sort of profit but not reliable. Most of these hobby breeders eventually got out of doing this. I cannot think of one that I consider hobby breeders that still sell a reasonable number of fish, online or otherwise.
I tried my hand at this years ago, just for fun. I really don't need the income. A few months, and 1000+ babies later, it took me 5 years to get this group of babies placed. I have to drive to San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Houston to deliver fish to LFS at a few dollars a fish. Not good.
My wife resents the fact that people who we don't know come over in the evening, in the middle of dinner to look at the fish and buy a few here and there. This was also NOT GOOD for my family life.

Last edited:

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I just don't feel like I have a LFS source with reasonable prices and healthy fish.

I almost exclusively get my fish from LiveAquarias DiverDen where they are WYSIWYG and go through a more extensive quarantine process.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back