why can we keep gonipora now ??

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone.just wondering everyones thoughts on why in the passed few years ,we can now keep gonis.what changed? I've been in the hobby for awhile now and never had luck till about 2 years ago now I have a few that are doing well and growing .I'm not sure what I owe the success to .whats your thoughts?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it is because what we usually buy now has been aquacultured? I've always had good growth from gonis over the past several years despite reading many times how difficult they are to keep healthy. Then again, zoas are a real challenge for me and it suggests again that each tank is different.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been curious also. It’s always been said they are hard/delicate to keep, especially certain colored ones.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the days, i was fascinated with Goni ( flower pots corals ) i wasn't able to keep them for more than a few months. Now i have 4 different types growing and doing really well. I would think the health of my collection is due to technology and science and knowledge. Back then we didn't ( at least " I " didn't have a calcium reactor or the knowledge ) or any other sort of equipment to sustain them. Nowadays we have a ton of stuff to keep almost anything alive, every time i look at my reef I'm amazed with all the equipment it take to run / keep my livestock alive. We now have the knowledge on how to care for them , feed them , propagate them etc ..

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had most of mine for years and years. I attribute them to being alive for so long to a slightly dirty tank and phyto being dosed regularly. Never had goni issues in the past and I attribute it to that. Probably a ton of frags running around TN from my colonies lol. Although, my green colony resides in my dads tank in FL now, I have a good size frag of it growing like a weed.

OP
OP
charliethetuna

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone.just wondering everyones thoughts on why in the passed few years ,we can now keep gonis.what changed? I've been in the hobby for awhile now and never had luck till about 2 years ago now I have a few that are doing well and growing .I'm not sure what I owe the success to .whats your thoughts?j

Back in the days, i was fascinated with Goni ( flower pots corals ) i wasn't able to keep them for more than a few months. Now i have 4 different types growing and doing really well. I would think the health of my collection is due to technology and science and knowledge. Back then we didn't ( at least " I " didn't have a calcium reactor or the knowledge ) or any other sort of equipment to sustain them. Nowadays we have a ton of stuff to keep almost anything alive, every time i look at my reef I'm amazed with all the equipment it take to run / keep my livestock alive. We now have the knowledge on how to care for them , feed them , propagate them etc ..
I agree the goni was one of the corals that got me into the hobby .not knowing at the time they were impossible to keep .

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think
1-Technology - Better circulation devices i.e. power heads and better flow control;
2-Food and feeding - Better choices of food, especially food particle size, readily accessible phyto, etc. Better feeding process, we can feed multiple times. Also "dirty water" as mentioned above, which is food for the Goni's.
3-Better Nutrient export/control. Many people use multiple nutrient export/control options that can easily be sequenced.
4-Better understanding of Goni's nutritional/feeding/flow requirements. We just did not know enough about them in the past, now many have experience and share it widely. Thank the stars for forums and scientist with a passion.

I have 7 varieties in my DT all gotten from frags of just 3 heads. 6 have better than 12 to 30 heads each :). I am still struggling with one that won't go past 35 heads though :confused:

IMG_8413.jpeg

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pink one, as one of my first corals. Probs 3rd but very early into my tanks life.
Why is it easier now cause i do read old post of them being nightmares to keep.
People i got ot from do culture corals and it is one of there pieces. But its always grown and been great to me

OP
OP
charliethetuna

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these 2 so far are doing the best for me tck glitter something and just a red one

Attachments

• 20201127_203344-01.jpeg
    20201127_203344-01.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201127_203259-01.jpeg
    20201127_203259-01.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 16

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mariculture and aquaculture. Goniopora genus has a couple dozen species that are indistinguishable by the average aquarist. Some species are cosmopolitan and found in a wide range of ecological conditions (ie, hardy). Some are only found in very specific ecological conditions (ie, delicate). Collectors/growers have identified and are producing the hardy species.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back