Why can you guys grow colorful Millies?

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one milli but it has changed a TON with each bit of new growth it recieves. It started as a light green nub, then a slightly larger green piece, and now it is green with a metallic pink sheen in some spots and the tips are white/orangish. Sps in general seem to have the ability to change in appearance a lot as they grow. Mine is also polyp covered
20170412115556.JPG

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Millies, because I LOVE Millies.

Boom's Lemon Sour Mille
BoomsLemonSourMille_1729.jpg

Bubblegum Mille
BubbleGumMille_1708.jpg

Boom's Mint Chocolate Mille
ChocolateMintMille_1724.jpg

Boom's Pinkberry Explosion Mille
PinkberryExplosionMille_1712.jpg

Raspberry Mille
RaspberryMille_1715.jpg

Superman Mille
SupermanMille_1711.jpg
Those are sweet! This kind of illustrates my question. If I had one or all of those, would they get all hairy like mine and cover up the pretty skin? Or would they stay like yours because that is just how those varieties are?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sweet! This kind of illustrates my question. If I had one or all of those, would they get all hairy like mine and cover up the pretty skin? Or would they stay like yours because that is just how those varieties are?
Each of my millies seem to get different variety of hairy ness. Seems specific to each.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread is just a ploy to get all of us to oh-and-ah over his awesome Millie! Which it is ;Wideyed! Anytime I can see multiple colors that contrast each other I think it's a great one. There are hints of at least 3 colors on there and getting better with every post.

Nice job HappyHour, your secret ploy to get us to shower your prize with affection has worked flawlessly!;)

Sweet thread, I'll be following.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, your milli is outstanding! I agree with others, high random flow and mid-high light. I have seven or eight growing out and they thrive in higher light and flow. The shaggier the better. I think watching the polyps waving around is beautiful. Some of mine. I don't have a camera, just an iPad so pic quality isn't very good and doing them no justice

IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG

This one browned out during shipping but is starting to color back up. You can see the pink when blues are on. Lots of new growth though
IMG_3035.JPG

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I ever did a species only tank, millepora would probably be at the top of the list. I only have three varieties at the moment, but as soon as my 90g is up and running, watch out, I'm gonna start hoarding them all. ;Greedy;Greedy
To the OP, I agree with the others here, your piece looks great! My sunset is at the top of the water line and is getting blasted on both sides by flow. Milli's really like random, dare I say, "heavy" flow.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one milli but it sure has changed a lot since I got it. It's started out as a yellow nub and has slowly turned into this fuzy metallic green
20170726124237.JPG

20170412115556.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back