Why cant I keep euphyllia?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP what lights you using and intensity level?

I use XR15 lights and set them up based on internet listed par numbers at 70% intensity and my corals struggled. I was shocked when I finally got a par meter and checked my tank. My lights are at 100% intensity now and my corals thrive.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the components make up the biome, water, sand, rock, coral, fish flow, lights, erc... but I agree the majority is on hard surface.
Well there's the environment and there is biome. Easy example is think of how we are in a room. We have our own biome. We have bacteria, fungus all sorts of things growing on our surface and insides. If we scratch, sneeze or cough, even move, some of our biome will spread. It will use the air to try and find a person in air but mostly settle on surface areas. Now bring in someone from another country or even just area and now we introduce new biome that can potential spread to each other. Some good some bad. Now if we change environment, such as temperature, humidity, airflow, over time the biomes will be effected. As some don't do well others will thrive more.

Now if one of us is sick, and we are breathing the same circulated air, we have a high chance of catching it. But, if we filter the air or even exchange out the air or pushing air through sterilizer the chances of pathogens are lower. Surface areas can still carry though. This is more of a basic explanation but things are more complex lol.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's the environment and there is biome. Easy example is think of how we are in a room. We have our own biome. We have bacteria, fungus all sorts of things growing on our surface and insides. If we scratch, sneeze or cough, even move, some of our biome will spread. It will use the air to try and find a person in air but mostly settle on surface areas. Now bring in someone from another country or even just area and now we introduce new biome that can potential spread to each other. Some good some bad. Now if we change environment, such as temperature, humidity, airflow, over time the biomes will be effected. As some don't do well others will thrive more.

Now if one of us is sick, and we are breathing the same circulated air, we have a high chance of catching it. But, if we filter the air or even exchange out the air or pushing air through sterilizer the chances of pathogens are lower. Surface areas can still carry though. This is more of a basic explanation but things are more complex lol.
I probably need a few more beers for this class

But...

The marine biome

The marine biome is primarily made up of the saltwater oceans. It is the largest biome on planet Earth and covers around 70% of the Earth's surface and over 90% of life on Earth lives in the ocean.

I have a piece of this biome in my man cave.

Last edited:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably need a few more beers for this class
I give myself headaches reading. I may even be wrong and missing information. I had a discussion about this a while back. But do agree water quality effects biome. Why I do my weekly 100 percent water changes. But it is a nano only 7g so easy to do. Larger tanks it's hard and other means are necessary. This just works for me and some others. But I am thinking like you par issue, or something is in the water that shouldn't be lol.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give myself headaches reading. I may even be wrong and missing information. I had a discussion about this a while back. But do agree water quality effects biome. Why I do my weekly 100 percent water changes. But it is a nano only 7g so easy to do. Larger tanks it's hard and other means are necessary. This just works for me and some others. But I am thinking like you par issue, or something is in the water that shouldn't be lol.
Yes all nanos need is water changes

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very dark for 200 Par
cross eyed excuse me GIF
Sorry i should have stated that where they are now, at the top of the rocks is the current par level. Not when they were on the sand bed

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP what lights you using and intensity level?

I use XR15 lights and set them up based on internet listed par numbers at 70% intensity and my corals struggled. I was shocked when I finally got a par meter and checked my tank. My lights are at 100% intensity now and my corals thrive.
I have the reefer90 by red sea and they are at 100 on blue and white. 1 hour ramp up 8 hours on 1 hour ramp down

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about that par level? Looking at the picture, there is a lot of shade on the sand where they are, it looks like they are in the shade to me. "Losing colour and melting" IMO is a typical sign of low lighting.

Also phosphate level of 1.0 is very high
Phospate has been up and down between .07 and .1 the .1 was my most recent testing. And sorry my par reading is where they are currently not on the sand bottom.

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by making sure temperature and salinity are in check.

I'm not too worried about your parameter levels.

That being said, either that PAR must be wrong, or that's the likely problem.  Most euphyllia like par between 50 and 100. Ive heard some people that keep different PAR on their torches, but they are few and far between compaired to the majority.

I would either adjust the lighting down, or if you plan to keep acros, move the euphyllia to a lower PAR around 75.
Salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78.5. Ill have to double check par readings tomorrow

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using nyos salt crystals.

I was dosing but could never get it over 1350 and was dosing an insane 200mg a day!!
How much water do you have? Quick search says that salt starts at 1350 mg and I don't see any heavy mg consumers... How are you testing mg? It could be very high throwing off balance..

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches with 20 heads sit in 250 par and thrive. Hammers. Frogs, fox coral, leathers, lobos. Pectinia etc... sit in 100 to 150 par
I’ve had mine in 2-300 PAR if not higher - Torches have been in around 350-400 and Hammers/Frogspawn in 250-300 PAR.

It’s why I question if we underestimate coral and their capabilities.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill start out and say tank parameters are ok and relatively stable. Tank is about 5 months old.
Dkh 9.3-9.9
Ca-430-440
Mg- 1300-1350
Ph-8.1
Phos-1.0
Nitrate-7-8

IMG_5614.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg IMG_0002.jpeg IMG_0003.jpeg
My frogspawn seems to be fine(might be getting too much flow) but my hammers are/have lost color and seem to be melting. The gold one has really gone down hill but i dont have a more recent picture. The green hammer has since opened up a bit more since i moved it up higher in the tank. Par levels are around 250-200 in that spot. I moved the gold hammer there hoping to have it open up again as well but no luck.

Last week i dipped both corals again in coral rx and checked for brown algae but didnt spot any.

Any ideas? I feel the Mag. Is a bit low. I was dosing but could never get it over 1350 and was dosing an insane 200mg a day!! I ran out but the levels have remained pretty stable. I preform weekly water changes around 10-15% and i am using nyos salt crystals.

Water looks a bit dirty cause i had just dosed some phyto.
I can't keep GSP

It's a curse

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back