Why did my aquarium overflow?

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a large sump and I've had it setup for months upon months with everything running smoothly. Today I added 5g to the sump, I decided I just wanted to fill it up higher. Next thing i know the aquarium is overflowing but i never touched the flow control or ball valve. Strange....

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means your return pump is outperforming your overflow. Put another way, you actually just learned a valuable lesson- your overflow is inadequate right now. This is either do to design or tuning, but you will want to rectify this situation immediately. This can occur again even if you don't add the extra volume of water to your sump.

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means your return pump is outperforming your overflow. Put another way, you actually just learned a valuable lesson- your overflow is inadequate right now. This is either do to design or tuning, but you will want to rectify this situation immediately. This can occur again even if you don't add the extra volume of water to your sump.
Very well said.. I guess for my next tank I'll make sure its drilled. I'm using an overflow box right now with 1inch bulkheads which by what ur saying is probably too small

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see, what do you mean by decreased the head on the pump?

Head pressure is resistance to your flow caused by gravity. The higher you pump a fluid up vertically the more resistance is created and the harder your pump has to work. Your head height is calculated from the height of the water level in your sump/pump chamber to the highest point on your return line.

Because you increased the height of the water level in your sump it decreased the distance between the two which lowered the head height and decreased the resistance on your pump. Less resistance, more flow, meaning more water going to the display. If you don't adjust your main drain to balance it out your tank will overflow, as you have discovered.

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head pressure is resistance to your flow caused by gravity. The higher you pump a fluid up vertically the more resistance is created and the harder your pump has to work. Your head height is calculated from the height of the water level in your sump/pump chamber to the highest point on your return line.

Because you increased the height of the water level in your sump it decreased the distance between the two which lowered the head height and decreased the resistance on your pump. Less resistance, more flow, meaning more water going to the display. If you don't adjust your main drain to balance it out your tank will overflow, as you have discovered.
You guys are awesome lol. Literally a perfect explanation. I appreciate the time you guys are taking to teach me something!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was pretty cool observation by @KStatefan.

And a fine explanation of head pressure by @JoshH. I am glad I read his explanation first before posting the verbal gymnastics I was going through to explain it.

Oh come on I want to read it now!! :p

You guys are awesome lol. Literally a perfect explanation. I appreciate the time you guys are taking to teach me something!

No problem, I could get into it in much more detail but figured that would suffice for now:p:)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%

Back