Why did my peppermint shrimp eat my brand new favia coral?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upset and stumped on this. All my other corals in my tank are open, polyps out etc. I have seen my 2 peppermint shrimp walk across my corals before but never pick at one. Last night after lights out I placed A new favia frag in my tank. I set it on the sand bed. Today I come home from work at 4pm and I notice that 2/4 sides at the very bottom are turning white. I though maybe I put it directly under the light and hurt it. So I kept it on the sand bed but pushed it towards the back glass away from the light. I took a look at my tank again a lil later to see both my peppermint shrimp digging into the coral. In fact the one shrimp that’s a lil bigger at one point started to chase away the other to pig out on the thing. Now it’s almost all completely white except for the very top. What the heck happend?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help you but can confirm that they will eat coral. My single proven true peppermint was eating my Gatorade zoas. Unfortunately after trying every method of capture I could find suggested I ended up emptying my tank right down the the last rock to catch it. I used it as an excuse to upgrade my tank.

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also confirm that they are coral eaters. After a bit of research it seems that there are a handful of shrimp that resemble peppermint shrimp but in truth are not. Some species of these look-a-likes eat coral.

In June of 2019 I bought what I was told was a peppermint shrimp from my LFS. I put him in my tank and he found a nice hole to hide in and after about five minutes of hiding he migrated under one of my torches and started snacking on the ends of the polyps. Tore them right off. I went to sleep thinking about how I was going to deal with him and when I woke up in the morning I couldn't find him.. my Banggai Cardinal had eaten him overnight.

IMG_3976.JPG

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also confirm that they are coral eaters. After a bit of research it seems that there are a handful of shrimp that resemble peppermint shrimp but in truth are not. Some species of these look-a-likes eat coral.

In June of 2019 I bought what I was told was a peppermint shrimp from my LFS. I put him in my tank and he found a nice hole to hide in and after about five minutes of hiding he migrated under one of my torches and started snacking on the ends of the polyps. Tore them right off. I went to sleep thinking about how I was going to deal with him and when I woke up in the morning I couldn't find him.. my Banggai Cardinal had eaten him overnight.

IMG_3976.JPG
Removed the peppermints last night. Way easier to catch than a fish. They are such greedy eaters that I just put food near a net and scooped em out.
Went to back to store. Reviewd tank parameters with store and was told mine were “pretty dang good”. Lfs also confirmed he has had rouge peppermints before. Bought new Favia. So far so good!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Unpopular opinion time: I hate shrimp. All of them suck. They steal food from the mouths of coral and regardless of if they actually eat the colony or not, it causes undue stress.
After seeing it happen to my prized Lobo a few times, I took the shrimp out. Haven’t ran a system with a shrimp in it for that reason in years.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the peppermints last night. Way easier to catch than a fish. They are such greedy eaters that I just put food near a net and scooped em out.
Went to back to store. Reviewd tank parameters with store and was told mine were “pretty dang good”. Lfs also confirmed he has had rouge peppermints before. Bought new Favia. So far so good!

Very lucky! I spent hours trying to lure mine out with food. Glad you didn’t have to take your tank apart to get it.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Unpopular opinion time: I hate shrimp. All of them suck. They steal food from the mouths of coral and regardless of if they actually eat the colony or not, it causes undue stress.
After seeing it happen to my prized Lobo a few times, I took the shrimp out. Haven’t ran a system with a shrimp in it for that reason in years.

No shrimp or crabs here now. Just snails and bristleworms.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 peppermint shrimp, I named them after mob bosses because they terrorized my corals in my tank!!! Anyways, built a trap out of a soda bottle and caught all 3 of them... Never again...

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_3976.JPG
Good save! That saved you from trying to catch the shrimp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back