Why did my snail die?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
11,641
Reaction score
13,157
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
About a week ago I bought a peppermint shrimp and a margarita snail. I drip acclimated them for twenty minutes then put them in. The shrimp went in easily. The snail, on the other hand, took some prying off the container wall to get into the tank. After going in, he went around the tank a bit, then stayed in a spot. A week later, he was in the same spot. Nothing was eating him, but he just sat there. Yesterday I decided to flip him over so I could observe him better. This morning, it’s just a shell. Clearly, he died and disintegrated, which would explain my recent ammonia spike to 0.5 ppm. I did a water change (which i had to do anyway for my new corals I just bought).
My question- why would he suddenly die like that? Everything else is doing fine. Is it my fault? I feel guilty for buying it just to kill it!
 
Hi,
About a week ago I bought a peppermint shrimp and a margarita snail. I drip acclimated them for twenty minutes then put them in. The shrimp went in easily. The snail, on the other hand, took some prying off the container wall to get into the tank. After going in, he went around the tank a bit, then stayed in a spot. A week later, he was in the same spot. Nothing was eating him, but he just sat there. Yesterday I decided to flip him over so I could observe him better. This morning, it’s just a shell. Clearly, he died and disintegrated, which would explain my recent ammonia spike to 0.5 ppm. I did a water change (which i had to do anyway for my new corals I just bought).
My question- why would he suddenly die like that? Everything else is doing fine. Is it my fault? I feel guilty for buying it just to kill it!
Animals die the same way that people do. Could've been end of life for the snail, who know how old the snail was?
 
Could the peppermint shrimp have killed him? what else do you have, any hermits or crabs? my pom pom killed a trochus
Idk, when observing him though he just stopped in one place and sat there untouched. Maybe I acclimated him poorly?
 
Idk, when observing him though he just stopped in one place and sat there untouched. Maybe I acclimated him poorly?

I'm pretty new but the saltwater snails have been generally hit or miss so far for me, the ones that make it do great but about 1/4 dont seem to want to keep going. So far Astreas have been the best -haven't lost any- but they do move a lot slower than other species
 
I'm pretty new but the saltwater snails have been generally hit or miss so far for me, the ones that make it do great but about 1/4 dont seem to want to keep going. So far Astreas have been the best -haven't lost any- but they do move a lot slower than other species
My survivors are a cerith, turbo, astrea, and some hitchhiker I found, probably a nassarius
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new