Why do bta’s lose the bubble tips?

Tyguy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, when I got my bubble tip anemone is had nice bubble tips. Few weeks later it no longer has anymore bubbles, why?
93B21905-3B66-4EEE-97A6-429FF098505C.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
As others already pointed out there is really no scientific answer. Mostly guesses. I am currently holding steady at 7 all from the same original I started with (after giving several away and losing a couple in the tank upgrade). I by no means have the answer but on a few occasions when one moved lower to the substrate I would see that one with bubble tips. It was blocked by a lot of rock work and pretty nestled into the rock and surrounding area. So I thought maybe people are right with they say lower flow. Turns out a few days later the bubbles are gone and we are back to the long wavy arms. Go figure.

Thought maybe it was size. No. Then I thought maybe food. Nope. Silver sides for a while then stopped after reading the bones could possible cause harm I went with smaller foods. Frozen brine, mysis, LRS, and later pellet. Nope. Same behavior. Thought light. No - I have a lot of light and they have always been over LED's either DIY or Kessil or mix. I've tried higher power, lower power, nothing. I do recall the only look when not enough light is when I had my original 29 gallon bio cube that the 1st one started in. It was using the default power compacts and at that time before I upgraded that hood to LED the RBTA would stretch like it was trying to grab the sun.

I don't think any of us really know. At least I don't. I just run with whatever vibe they are giving out that day and happy to see them.

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience it has to do with lighting. I had two different types of bta that split. One of each went to the top of the rock work the other stayed closer to the bottom. The ones closer to the top were always way more bubbly but this could just be a coincidence not scientific fact behind this.

OP
OP
T

Tyguy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will make it my mission to get rich off this haha. Mine is sitting directly under a ai prime. Although it was under an eco tech before I got it. So maybe it is lights.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will make it my mission to get rich off this haha. Mine is sitting directly under a ai prime. Although it was under an eco tech before I got it. So maybe it is lights.
I think it would move if it didn’t like where it was.

mine has moved a few times in the 15 years I’ve had it, generally because of a lighting or flow change I’ve made.
fyi - mine isn’t a BTA though...

just my thoughts on the lighting...

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you think it’s light related. Any idea of what your par reading is around the anemone?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 2 I have are different also. The rainbow has bubbles at the base of tenticals and then get really long and straight all the time. Like theres a baby in each one hahah

The other has shorter tenticals and bubbles closer to the tips. They both get small at night and get bubbly. During the day they open and spread. One Is picky with flow and moves any time there is too much.

I've noticed when sellers take pics it's with flow off and bubbles are fat!

OP
OP
T

Tyguy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is right centred under the light. Maybe it’s something to to do with nutrients in the water. Longer extension equals more food or something.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for a few months and it was all bubbly, then i was told they should be fed or they could starve and die, was told to use a chunk of silversides. So i thawed one, cut in pieces maybe 1/2" long and fed it. One time i fed it. It lost all its bubbles within a couple days. Two years later, and 2 splits, it still has no bubbles. Just my experience.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think its something they do naturally. In my wife's nano the anemones were very close to the light. At different times of the day they would loose the bubble tip and other parts of the day bubble up nice. In the 75 directly under halides they would do the same.

my.PsychReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have observed space requirements for them to stretch. If there’s not enough space for rbta to extend then they will loose bubbles.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have observed space requirements for them to stretch. If there’s not enough space for rbta to extend then they will loose bubbles.
I have a split that has lodged itself in a little tiny hole with only one tentacle coming out and its bubbled. I dont think space has anything to do with it.

Mjfalend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea because I am new to this. We started with one. Now there are usually 14 that I can count. They split constantly. It seems that some must die off but I have no idea where they go. But the Maroon clown is very happy. She is large and aggressive. We got her in 2002 when the tank was built.
E75FE81D-EF6A-4C75-948B-6B46813805EB.jpeg
58E29DE7-3906-48A1-BA06-3390831C40E1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0238.MOV
    18 MB
OP
OP
T

Tyguy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice when they are all in baskets together they are bubbled. So maybe it’s being within extremes proximity to others

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back