Why do I get this bleaching?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kris 2020
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2020
Messages
526
Reaction score
1,151
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this birds nest for over a year. It keeps bleaching from the bottom up, then I frag off the healthy parts (which involves lots of bad words), end up with a mess of frags. I will take a nice one and find it a home in the tank. It grows like mad. Then it starts bleaching. I swear it’s still growing as it’s bleaching. I’ve done this like 4-5 times since I got the thing. My other sps looks fine….it will be lighter in color in the areas that do t get as much light but still will have some polyps in those areas. Tank is 10-12 years old. Last testing was 10-16:
temp 78.6
ph 8.13
nitrate 3.7
phosphate .03
alk 8.4
calcium 392

i only test mag and potassium occasionally but last check was 1395 mg and 440 k. These are all typical results for me. I think I turned up the calcium dose a bit after this test. I feel like I’m always doing that!

9B05919C-0F2E-4185-8206-A0513C9EE46A.jpeg EB430A52-CF4A-4725-812B-C41D067F406D.jpeg DFA1D32A-9E4E-456C-BA18-A7C03AC36182.jpeg
 
Thats par for the course with birdnests, once it has grown large enough to shade the branches underneath they will start to die off.

Only way to avoid it is to frag as you go so that light is still reaching the lower branches, or frag of the lower branches when they are still alive.
 
Thats par for the course with birdnests, once it has grown large enough to shade the branches underneath they will start to die off.

Only way to avoid it is to frag as you go so that light is still reaching the lower branches, or frag of the lower branches when they are still alive.
That’s kinda what I was thinking but I didn’t know if that happened or not. Thanks for the info!
 
Looks like shading (where light is blocked by branches above). Other causes are:

Low Magnesium
Low calcium
Alk too high
Salinity too low
lack of water flow to that area.
 
Thanks everyone! I’ve just always wondered about this, and I was dreading fragging it AGAIN thinking why does it keep happening to this particular coral. Good to know it’s par for the course. I’ll have to be better about “pruning” it from time to time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new