OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any carnivore fish. Im learning recently that my dottyback has killed all my hermits.

I once had a Tomato clown that was swimming around with crab legs hanging out of its mouth, so maybe the clownfish are part of the problem?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often:
Competition for food often leading to starvation
Inability to flip themselves over
Low calcium
poor acclimation
Flip your inverts over when you see them flipped...big thing. Snails are Dumb!!!!

I started out with lots of Crabs and snails in the early days to help with cleaning and algae, Cycling....they lived long and prospered, and got Yuuuge! but now they mostly die off on their own. I only add new Emerald Crabs when the bubble algae rears its ugly head, they eat it all, some algae etc, then die off , because of not enough food .

But that's OK with me. A lot of my snails are still kicking, but have lost a lot.

Once your tank is really doing great, you don't need tons of inverts.

Had some problems with aiptasia....did Aiptasia-X for direct kills, got 4 peppermint shrimp and they destroyed the rest...down to 1 peppermint shrimp now...he's doing great, but other 3 kicked the bucket.

All in all, it's survival of the fittest.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water quality in my tank is impeccable. The tank is thriving. As of Sunday 1/14, parameters are as follows:
  • Phosphorus- present.
  • Nitrates-10
For these nutrient levels I’m assuming you’re running a tight ship on feeding fish and don’t have any pressing algae issues? If so there’s probably a lot less food for your inverts than they need. Either feed more, or wait for your crab population to stabilize.

Also, leave the empty shells, especially larger ones, so they can pick as they grow rather than fight each other for shells.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand, never understood, why some websites have a recommendation for cuc. Maybe not the way I should put this, more of, "this is what you should buy for a new tank" cuc. Mostly they are way too much.
I have always practiced, buy half of what they recommend in a newish tank. "newish" meaning it's not the first thing you buy. Buy when the tank is looking like you needed a CUC.

If the "half" cuc isn't doing a good job, but more. On the other hand, if the "half" cuc is dying, don't buy more.

I think of crabs as fewer are far better. They fight each other and kill snails for there shells if you didn't put extra ones in the tank.
And have never seen hermit not be able to right themselves!?

steve 1965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my opinion no more then 10 and have plenty of shells. When feeding at least twice a week shut all pumps off and make sure food gets down where the crabs can get enough food.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With a lot of crab species, they seem to live by the mantra " there can be only one".
They like to eat each other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back