Why do my zoas look burnt?

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2023
Messages
55
Reaction score
34
Location
England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Ive noticed a trend recently with Zoas in my 120 litre reef tank.

Zoa colonies have sort of been dying off one by one. Next up is these scrambled eggs but this time they've started to look almost burnt. I've had this frag for 3 months they've have the other head the entire time.

Ive looked for pests, but can't spot anything.

Ive Iodine dipped with reef dip, but seems yo be unsuccessful.

7.7 alk
1260 mag
0.12264 Phosphorus
40 po4
30 Nit
1.0255

Just hoping someone can see something or has had similar issue in the past.

Thanks



20260922_193635.jpg

20260922_193611.jpg

20260922_193508.jpg

20260922_192927.jpg
 
You have ruled out all the usual suspects?
Nudibranch
Sundial
Sea Spiders (very hard to see)
Asterina Stars

The surrounding Zoanthids look great. Unfortunately sometimes we never figure it out.
 
Ive tried to rule them out but I can never be sure! Im going to try and detach the coral from the rack and dip in Iodine to inspect for pests.

Thanks for your help
 
Ive tried to rule them out but I can never be sure! Im going to try and detach the coral from the rack and dip in Iodine to inspect for pests.

Thanks for your help
I like the hydrogen peroxide dilution dip better. It's worked really well for me in the past.

Good Luck.
 
Hey Guys,

Ive noticed a trend recently with Zoas in my 120 litre reef tank.

Zoa colonies have sort of been dying off one by one. Next up is these scrambled eggs but this time they've started to look almost burnt. I've had this frag for 3 months they've have the other head the entire time.

Ive looked for pests, but can't spot anything.

Ive Iodine dipped with reef dip, but seems yo be unsuccessful.

7.7 alk
1260 mag
0.12264 Phosphorus
40 po4
30 Nit
1.0255

Just hoping someone can see something or has had similar issue in the past.

Thanks



20260922_193635.jpg

20260922_193611.jpg

20260922_193508.jpg

20260922_192927.jpg
Check for star fish...they are mainly the big culprits...also give them iodine dip and more to a different spot.
 
Hello Everyone,

To update you, I've chickened out of dipping them for now, instead a couple days ago placed a wave maker near the scrambled eggs.

I think they look better, but unsure if I'm telling myself that.

Should I still dip them?



20261007_194445.jpg

20261007_194457.jpg
 
They look fine, short skirts though. Just keep checking at night periodically for the usual suspects.
It's my experience that flow place an important part in how long the tentacles are.
Glad they are looking better. Thanks for the follow-up.
BTW Zoanthids tolerate baths/dip in a hydrogen peroxid dilution well. I have never seen any adverse reactions.

🙂
 
I've also had no bad reactions since I started dipping my zoanthids in peroxide almost a decade ago. I have seen it take care of nudibranchs (iodine took care of sea spiders IME) and their eggs. I sometimes collect wild zoanthids and every single time I give them both dips.

I started doing 50/50 peroxide (the regular 3% stuff) and tank water as a shot in the dark once I found nudibranchs on a colony I had already dipped and put in my tank for a couple of weeks. Peroxide was just what I had on hand that evening. I've seen others here report good results with the same mix over time though.

I leave them in the peroxide mix for 4 minutes. They will fizz and they may not open until the next day, but they will reopen. I recommend it for any new zoanthids just to be safe.

Note: you can't just add peroxide to your iodine dip, or vice versa. I tried adding iodine to a peroxide dip before (just being lazy) and when I turned back around the water had gone from brown to clear.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new