Why do people buy the all-in-one only to upgrade it?

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read several posts where people buy the all-in-ones with immediate intention of upgrading the lights... Isn't there a cheaper route of just buying the tank and lights separately?

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to get started with. Good beginner tanks. Once they master them, they want to advance. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess i meant that there are some All In Ones that are cheaper... but the JBJ (for example) are kind of pricey because they have "reef ready" lighting-- but people still buy those and upgrade the lights right away. Just found it interesting that brand new lights go to waste on these units. Wish they'd make the lights more worth keeping

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe it's similar to the car modding culture. Buy it and make it better. :D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I guess i meant that there are some All In Ones that are cheaper... but the JBJ (for example) are kind of pricey because they have "reef ready" lighting-- but people still buy those and upgrade the lights right away. Just found it interesting that brand new lights go to waste on these units. Wish they'd make the lights more worth keeping
Its based on their needs. While the lighting may be adequate, it may be deficient for SPS and other light required coral. return pump may be adequate for circulation, but not for various coral, and so forth.

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Fluval Evo 13.5 (comes with stock pump and light) about 10 months ago. It's been a perfect beginner tank, because I had no idea what I was getting myself into and it was fairly simple to learn from. Now that my tank is becoming more established and I've had 10 months of research/reef2reef time, I see where certain components are lacking (like the lighting) and am thinking of upgrading in the future, or doing my own build next.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like aio's simply bc I hate/don't want to do my own plumbing or drilling holes. I like having the overflow and all pipes ready to go!

However. I've only gotten one with lights I wanted to keep but upgraded skimmer and real co troller later on (red sea max series).

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Fluval Evo 13.5 because I wanted an AIO and I liked the appearance of it but its first summer came around and the tank got too hot so I had to remove the hood, however the lighting uses the hood as a mount so that had to go as well. The stock pump I found to be loud so that was swapped out. The media was swapped but I don’t think that counts.

In hindsight I probably could have bought a none AIO but it wasn’t an expensive tank and as I said the look of the tank was a deciding factor.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, most of the lights that come in the Jbj’s aren’t very good. Back when they came out, they had t5’s which worked well but were pretty expensive. I stay away from tanks that come with lights. I’m spoiled by good lights and can’t go back to sub par ;Hilarious

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used Red Sea Max E-260. The previous owner was using it as an all in one.

I however got a great deal on it and wanted to have a sump system, so I upgraded with BashSea Sump and ATO reservoir. Whats great about the E-260 is that it has flow pumps built in and I don't have to add those additional plus it has the added benefit of me now using the rear sump to hide certain things (thermometer, media bags, etc.)

lbacker56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my JBJ 45 AIO, it didn’t come with lights.
but I did modify it to have a sump
Did you remove the black panel and drill the back of the tank. I would like to see it if you did? I’ve been thinking about do that to my JBJ 45.

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly for ease. I bought a Fluval 32 gallon tank for saltwater purposes. It’s easier to maintain because the filtration is built in.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the black panel and drill the back of the tank. I would like to see it if you did? I’ve been thinking about do that to my JBJ 45.
No I didn’t been afraid too since I have Coral and fish although I have removed most of the glass behind it.
i use a HOB overflow a CPR 90. I originally modified the returns to accept a return coming from a sump in the stand but now I recently went to a full 3/4 return

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bob you know if the JBJ 45 can be drilled?
I do not know but I think it maybe tempered looking at it

but
i use a HOB overflow a CPR 90. I originally modified the returns to accept a return coming from a sump in the stand but now I recently went to a full 3/4 return

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know but I think it maybe tempered looking at it

but
I am not a fan of these type of overflows. In the event of power issues i do not want to dump water from sump on the floor due to over flow.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it with a bio cube back in the day I think it’s kinda a rite of passage. You get this AIO thinking you don’t want to mess with anything and as you grow you change what suits your needs and level. You then get to the point where you feel confident to tackle a sump and real skimmer and bigger lighting you feel comfortable investing in a huge tank cause you have been doing it and intend to stick with it. I had my bio cube 32 rockin by the time I got a bigger reefer and my success with that reefer is directly attributed to what I learned with the cube. You get to figure out what you want not what the community tells you to get. Besides what’s the fun of not hackin something up to make it better

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back