Why do people dislike tiger shrimp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cba191
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I saw a post earlier that had numerous people that hate them. Is there a specific reason for that?
Are you talking about a tiger pistol shrimp?
 
I like them. I think a lot of people dont is because of their snapping. Thats LOUD and can be heard clear as day in my bedroom when the tank is downstairs. I would hear mine all hours of the day. I think its kinda cool but it drove my BF nuts!
 
They are also reclusive and you dont see them as much as you hear them.
 
I have a Randall's Pistol Shrimp and I love him. I didn't go for a Tiger because my tank is only 25 gallons and the Tiger's are larger than the Randall's but I'd consider one for a larger tank. I think they may get a bad rap simply because they're a bit larger so it's easier for them to dislodge and move rocks and corals and just generally be a bit of a nuisance if they decide they want to rearrange an area.

I find that even with my Randall's, I do have to be mindful of putting anything on the sand bed, which I don't mind but I could see being a pain if you want to keep corals that need to be placed on the sand.
Also, as mentioned before, they are loud when they snap and I can hear mine at night from our bedroom even though the tank is all the way down a hallway, around a corner, and out in our living room. I personally think the snapping is cool and it lets me know he's still alive, but if you're sensitive to noise then maybe not a good choice.
 
I will be getting another one with a hi fin shrimp goby, once I redo my rockwork. Don`t remember the snapping bothering me, and it was active a lot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new