Why do so many reefers disapprove of buying fish with the intention of rehoming them after a couple of years?

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be cold but there is a national economic benefit to our industry by buying a smaller fish knowing full well that in several years you will have to move on from it. What happens in some cases is people fall in love forcing them to buy a new tank stand sump, skimmer, mores lights ect..and now that there’s a new tank they also might want more live stock. Generating revenue for LFS or online BRS or whoever. Keeping them in business so when we all need something they are there. I don’t think many people get into this hobby buying a 300 gallon tank. I’m not sure what the average first tank size is for someone just getting into hobby is but I doubt it is very large.
I AM NOT advocating for buying sharks in a 50 gal I think you should be able to care for whatever you buy and have a plan for what to do with them when they out grow your tank. I am only trying to point out a different angle that I didn’t see mentioned here. The post about the guy who owned fish store and had to throw out large fish that people brought in to him that they couldn’t take care of. That’s the ugly side of pet ownership. What do you think the humane society does with older stray cats and dogs no one wants, they kill them. It’s the ugly side of pet ownership. There will always be irresponsible people in the world. it is really sad but true. All we can do is our best.
Wow I went off on tangent ...been in house a long time lol

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally disapprove because it’s honestly pointless to me if my system cannot house a fish in a tank of my size for the entirety of its lifespan. I also want my fish to be happy and healthy in the first place. Many people say “I’m going to get a bigger system”, and sure, many people do it. I may well want to or need to get a somewhat larger system myself when I have the space someday.

However, things can happen that thwart plans you’ve made for the next year, two years, or however many years. Finances, life changes, the inability to move house / unwillingness to move etc. can all be stumbling blocks to getting that larger system. So for myself, until I know that I will be able to house a fish in a tank of my size healthily and happily for its full life, I will hold off on getting that fish until I am really able to get a larger system.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many ppl here have a fish invert or whatever that maybe isn't the right fit or size for your tank? I have a tomini and a powder blue in my 65g right now lol. And a pretty big clam ;Joyful ;Joyful
20200423_214022.jpg
20200423_213851.jpg

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many ppl here have a fish invert or whatever that maybe isn't the right fit or size for your tank? I have a tomini and a powder blue in my 65g right now lol. And a pretty big clam ;Joyful ;Joyful
20200423_214022.jpg
20200423_213851.jpg

Those are some gorgeous fish.

What's the long term plan? They both look pretty small still, compared to that gramma and clown.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that grama is huge no joke. Biggest I've ever seen. He can eat a whole shrimp lol. They will be going to my 250+ gallon tank in basement when it gets cycled and ready. Have an atlantic(?) blue tang in basement 55 gallon frag tank, awaiting as well. Tanks plumbed and ready for water just waiting on my ro di to arrive. And wanna play w some rock work ideas

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think people have covered most of the points. i don't really mind when people do it with a plan, but at least have a plan. the people that make a thread on here about the panther grouper in their 55g they have and need to find a home, but they live 3 hours from their nearest lfs and they've never met another hobbyist in person, that's probably a pretty poor choice.. or who knows maybe they got it when they were new and didn't know better

ideally you only get fish that can live their entire lives in your care, and keeping it within reason. i mean be realistic about your future plans, don't get a fish that requires a 300g tank if you're new in the hobby and working with a nano tank. odds are against you actually doing that years from now.

that said, i don't really judge. hopefully people have a plan and execute the plan. i've moved a bunch of fish from one tank to another during quarantine, moving tanks isn't that big of a deal. i also feel like since i live in southern california and there's people with massive tanks all over, i could get a fish that would massively outgrow my tank. but do i really want to get a fish, get attached, then just give it away? negative

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve got a 65g tank, so the options are slim when it comes to fish that will be appropriate when they're fully grown.

There seems to be a stigma about getting fish with the intention of passing them on to another hobbyist when they get too large. Other than the stress of being rehomed, what makes this so unethical if the animal is relocated before getting so large as to be unhappy in its environment?

Only a stigma if you pay attention to people on message boards.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back