Why do so many reefers disapprove of buying fish with the intention of rehoming them after a couple of years?

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is whether or not a new home will be able to be found. Only one of the LFS near me takes fish drop offs and for large fish, I’m not sure if they ever have wait lists or size limits. Even their large display tanks are only so large...
I also wonder how many people with appropriately large tanks are willing to take random tangs from those looking to rehome them. If I had a large tank I would have a specific list of fish I wanted and then it would be full. It’s like my garden. I have a large garden. That doesn’t mean that I’ll happily take whatever anybody wants to give me. I have specific plans for my garden. And, fish are living animals, plants are not.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they disapprove? Let me quote the last line from "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie: "We must blame them and cause a fuss before somebody thinks of blaming US!!"

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread blew up. Sorry for going AWOL, I've been doing some of those annoying tank chores (cleaning the outside of the back glass, wire management, etc) for most of the day.

Also accidentally bought 5 new frags after going to the LFS to drop off some gear we dont need.

For context, I'm not talking about tank busters. The absolute largest fish I'm willing to keep in this tank is 5" long (and that's pushing it). Were talking about the yellow Tang we have, and the possibility of getting a baby pink tail or niger trigger to raise until its 4" or so.

As far as catching fish... all of our fish eat out of my hand. I've accidentally caught fish while filling up a container for coral dips. Part of the reason I'm okay with the idea of rehoming fish is that our fish all learn that hands and specimen jars arent a scary thing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind when a seasoned reefer does it as a grow out and will upgrade and obliviously has the means and experience to do so. They would be taking down the entire tank either way and transferring it over.

However when a person comes on and puts a tang in their nano saying they are going to upgrade in 6 months and they are brand new to the hobby with like 4 posts. Their intentions may be good but their promises mean squat to me. Plenty of people just don't stick it out and quit the hobby. They don't know enough yet to know if this is for them with maintenance and the struggles when something doesn't go as planned and now you are fighting dino or what not. They might also get a slap in the face with $$$ when they realize how much that upgrade may actually cost.

And as far as rehoming the fish, catching and bagging, and transporting to a new home is stressful.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To play devils advocate, as I usually do. If comparing to dogs and cats as many have, think of these guys as the foster families. I have gotten dogs from foster families and they are great. They help raise the dogs and get them healthy to find a good permanent home. If you have the right kind of people doing this, it can be great for the person receiving a healthy, great fish for their tank.
I too would be opposed to the shark, grouper, crazy large fish as they would not do well at any age in a 65g. But a nice home to adapt to aquaria life for a couple years and go to someone with tanks of 150g above is nice.
This is very similar to some fish sold as raised in captivity.
Just another view for you.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read all the posts and this may have been posted already.

The reason I think its frowned upon is small tanks are abundant large tanks no so.
Could not fathome the percentage but 100G and smaller are obviously far more common.

Not a lot of homes for them to move to in the future.
Plus the fact that they may or may not be compatible with the livestock, currently in the large tank even if someone wanted to adopt such fish.
It has to be the right person with the right tank and the right livestock.
Chances are a big tank owner already has a nice large yellow tank.
So what will happen then?

So honestly its hard to place them.

Though knowone wants to have a feeling of guilt the large fish goes back to the store, and from that point they feel they did the right thing so no longer of my concern right.

LFS dont want them as they are harder to sell for the above reasons.

In the end its never going to stop happening, but one cant deny these facts, and the large fish wind up dead more often than one will ever admit or seek to look back.

I knew of one LFS that would take in large fish, but no credit or payment would be made to the previous owner. It was there way of an attempt to control this and free themselves of guilt.

They all seemed to get sold though.
Some random person out of the blue would take it.

Yea right, after the store was closed because the owner retired, the real story was told and the large fish were tossed into the trashbin the same day they were taken in.

Like it or not these are the ugly facts of the industry and hobby we enjoy.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view is that since over 90% of the fish in the hobby are still wild caught, it is not responsible to purchase an animal without being able to provide it a long term without having to rely on someone else to (maybe) take it.

To those saying the fish move, you are 100% accurate, but they are still in the ocean.

We have an LFS here that actively encourages customers to buy fish that will out grow their tank, saying "just bring it back." But they don't give store credit on return and now get to sell that fish - that you have been feeding and caring for - a second time.

Now sometimes, things happen and a fish must be rehomed. I had a Moorish Idol for a little over a year that one day decided that rock anemones were a delicacy, so I gave it a new home with a friend. Those type of circumstances (aggression/destruction) I believe allow for rehoming/returning.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a psa here but I will take just about any tang for free!!! if anyone has a Achilles tang that's too big ill take it. I'll even pay shipping

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are considering doing this then you need to understand that these types of fish (I'm guessing tangs, triggers and angels are the most likely candidates) eat, poo and grow a lot, so you need to understand the strain they put on smaller tanks. Juviniles fish can look cute but they often have very fast metabolisms and need more feedings, albeit smaller quantities, than adults.
There is also the point at which they need to be moved on before you affect their health, ie stunting. So my advice is that when you decide they need an upgrade you should have probably already moved them on or upgraded.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are considering doing this then you need to understand that these types of fish (I'm guessing tangs, triggers and angels are the most likely candidates) eat, poo and grow a lot, so you need to understand the strain they put on smaller tanks. Juviniles fish can look cute but they often have very fast metabolisms and need more feedings, albeit smaller quantities, than adults.
There is also the point at which they need to be moved on before you affect their health, ie stunting. So my advice is that when you decide they need an upgrade you should have probably already moved them on or upgraded.

I'd love a Watanabei Angel, but I haven't heard of anyone keeping one in a 65. Juvey tangs and triggers in systems ~65 gallons arent unheard of.

We feed nori every day, and offer small amounts of meaty options 5 or 6 times a day.

Is there a good metric for when a fish's grow will start being stunted by its tank?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good metric for when a fish's grow will start being stunted by its tank?

It's a difficult subject really and I'm not sure if anyone has really looked into stunting and the longterm health effects. It also seem quite random as I've had fish (admittedly in freshwater tanks) that appeared to stay much smaller than others of the same species.
In truth I'm not sure if stunting is a major problem unless we go to extreme cramped conditions and unless your tank is really tall (like a cylinder) then I think a tang could live quite happily in it, potentially forever (assuming it's a smaller species).

One thing I do know was there was an experiment that measured cortisol in tangs, the stress hormone, and it concluded that after a short period of time that the tangs weren't stressed by having a smaller tank (compared to those in much larger tanks).

So to answer your question, I'm not really sure you can tell for certain, it's just a gut call based on the behaviour of the fish and how quickly it seems to grow. Some tangs can grow really quickly whereas others seem to take forever. So if it approaches it's maximum or sensible size for your tank quickly, it's probably best to move it on earlier. With behaviour we are looking for a contented fish. If it's constantly darting about, doing laps or swimming up and down one end, then it's probably not happy and might do better with more space.

With a wantanabei it's tricky. Every time I've seen them they have been a decent size already which would probably rule it out. I have kept bellus angels in similar sized tanks but they have been small juviniles and I find them painfully slow growers. Hopefully someone has wantanabei experience (there is a sps master on the uk forums called trout who had multiple genicanthus in his tank that I think was a 3x2x2ft, not sure if he's on here though) but they are active planktavores which makes things a little harder.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a difficult subject really and I'm not sure if anyone has really looked into stunting and the longterm health effects. It also seem quite random as I've had fish (admittedly in freshwater tanks) that appeared to stay much smaller than others of the same species.
In truth I'm not sure if stunting is a major problem unless we go to extreme cramped conditions and unless your tank is really tall (like a cylinder) then I think a tang could live quite happily in it, potentially forever (assuming it's a smaller species).

One thing I do know was there was an experiment that measured cortisol in tangs, the stress hormone, and it concluded that after a short period of time that the tangs weren't stressed by having a smaller tank (compared to those in much larger tanks).

So to answer your question, I'm not really sure you can tell for certain, it's just a gut call based on the behaviour of the fish and how quickly it seems to grow. Some tangs can grow really quickly whereas others seem to take forever. So if it approaches it's maximum or sensible size for your tank quickly, it's probably best to move it on earlier. With behaviour we are looking for a contented fish. If it's constantly darting about, doing laps or swimming up and down one end, then it's probably not happy and might do better with more space.

With a wantanabei it's tricky. Every time I've seen them they have been a decent size already which would probably rule it out. I have kept bellus angels in similar sized tanks but they have been small juviniles and I find them painfully slow growers. Hopefully someone has wantanabei experience (there is a sps master on the uk forums called trout who had multiple genicanthus in his tank that I think was a 3x2x2ft, not sure if he's on here though) but they are active planktavores which makes things a little harder.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think the overall consensus seems to be that rehoming is okay if, and only if, the fish will move directly to a good home (not through lfs), the fish moves sooner than you think it needs to, and you know for a fact that you can find a taker - so no tank busters or super quirky fish.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve got a 65g tank, so the options are slim when it comes to fish that will be appropriate when they're fully grown.

There seems to be a stigma about getting fish with the intention of passing them on to another hobbyist when they get too large. Other than the stress of being rehomed, what makes this so unethical if the animal is relocated before getting so large as to be unhappy in its environment?
Boy oh boy this just makes me want to start a larger conversation surrounding husbandry and the arbitrary assignment of minimum tank sizes for fish without clear and defined rationale. Don’t get me wrong, I most certainly do as many of you and try to make conscious determination of what I’m buying, before I buy it. However, I don’t see much of a point in harping on the choices of others unless they harm others or the animals they are keeping. If someone wants a tiny yellow tang for their 4 ft tank, so be it as long as they make the appropriate decisions come time.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can follow through, with it, and find the fish a proper home, I’d say go ahead.

It’s always been a really expensive proposition for me. I tend to upgrade tanks when I need more room. My last one coast me about $10k to upgrade for a few tangs. Lol I Gabe them plenty of time in adequate space and upgraded when I told myself I would. A few months and I would have had to trade them in.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem. They grow slowly for the most part. I have changed many fish. I don't resell them. I just find a good home.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to build a strong relationship with my fish (as I have with my dog) but they don’t appear to like being stroked watching telly of a night
What I do know, with my young yellow tang, is I will look after him/her very well - it has tank mates that will cause it no grief and it’s environment is monitored very closely. I’ve also got agreement, from the LFS, that they will take it when it becomes suitable to do so - this will be BEFORE it becomes too big. I’ve kept fish for many years and have often changed things around.
As I, and my family grew, we moved to a bigger abode - don’t really understand the issue myself but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Personally I think the bigger issue is people buying unsuitable fish (whatever their size), people who have questionable husbandry and/or people who rush things and suffer the consequences - or at least their livestock do.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts.

I think the overall consensus seems to be that rehoming is okay if, and only if, the fish will move directly to a good home (not through lfs), the fish moves sooner than you think it needs to, and you know for a fact that you can find a taker - so no tank busters or super quirky fish.

I think that's a sensible approach.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back