Why do some zoa's die and some thrive?

Dustin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if this happens to everyone? I started a zoa cave with 15 different zoa frags 3 months ago. So far some are thriving (purple monsters, pearl jams, aoi, blondies,), some haven't changed (all others), and 3 have died (picachu, mary jane, cobalt). My 13.5 gallon tank has been stable and thriving with other duncans, ricordias, toadstool, chalices, micromusa. Just thought I would ask if losing 3 zoa frags is pretty normal out of 15 or something to be worried about (they shriveled gradually over a couple weeks)? I've heard some are harder to keep than others.

20220324_204213.jpg 20220424_130212.jpg 20220424_130217.jpg

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, some thrive and spread like weeds overtaking ones that were more expensive usually, while others wither and evaporate away in the background. I too started out with a big selection of zoa's now I am on 4 species left am not counting the red people eaters as they have made like 8 new heads in 4 or 5 years.
IMG_20220129_161244_edit_450699453079665.jpg

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew, haha. I have one cluster that about once a month it closes up and starts shrinking of ra few days, and then recovers for a few weeks. I've inspected it for pests, dipped to be sure, kept my params in check. no idea why it keeps doing this. Another colony I have was growing really well, so I fragged it. The new frag started with 3 polyps, grew a few more new ones and was looking great for a couple months, and then suddenly died off. The other original colony was right next to it, and is still growing well and looking nice and fluffy.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience not all zoas appreciate the same type of flow and light levels. It's important to place accordingly. When you get a new frag and place it let it settle for a few weeks. If they are reaching they typically need more light or flow. Try a new spot and let them settle again for a while.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some also seem to be more sensitive to low nitrate and phosphates as well as low iodine and will waste away.

OP
OP
D

Dustin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this is nice to know. I wonder if anyone has ever started a "zoa specific guideline" that outlines the different parameters, lighting, flow, etc. that each different zoa needs? If I'm spending high dollars on a zoa that needs different tank needs than another high priced zoa that would be nice to know. It always seems to be the most expensive/smallest ones the wither away. For now I'll just stay away from the expensive zoa's and just buy the mid range priced zoa's as the cheap zoa's seem to spread too quickly.

OP
OP
D

Dustin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, some thrive and spread like weeds overtaking ones that were more expensive usually, while others wither and evaporate away in the background. I too started out with a big selection of zoa's now I am on 4 species left am not counting the red people eaters as they have made like 8 new heads in 4 or 5 years.
IMG_20220129_161244_edit_450699453079665.jpg
dang....that's a lot of polyps you have there. Ever counted them?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This be the way of the Zoa. Some zoas wither and die when PAR gets over 100, Some want to be blasted by the sun like a hermit crab in a tide pool. They are funky, but im sure theres nothing you are doing wrong.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some threads compiling a bunch of different zoas and what they like.

Screenshot_20210815-134357_Chrome.jpg

Irregardless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally figuring this stuff out like you, day by day. I did the same thing (exactly 3 months ago also). I've learned that they should not all be put on the same rock if they have dramatic differences in required PAR.

I've learned to hard way some zoa's just turn to dust and some thrive. Some stretch to the moon, some close up. I'm still learning so I don't have much info to offer other than this hobby takes TONS of patients and is very stressful at times but the reward is worth it.

Good luck. I need it.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some threads compiling a bunch of different zoas and what they like.

Screenshot_20210815-134357_Chrome.jpg

This kind of information is what we need easily accessible for everyone on the new R2R app not sure how to get it up there on suggestions for the app but sure someone will know

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the higher light zoas also prefer higher flow to help bring in nutrients and get rid of waste as well.

OP
OP
D

Dustin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some of my zoa'a seem to eat reef roids while some could care less. Some close up and look like they are going to explode when I feed and some don't close up at all. This doesn't seem to affect the growth rate at least not yet. Anyone else have the same experience?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some of my zoa'a seem to eat reef roids while some could care less. Some close up and look like they are going to explode when I feed and some don't close up at all. This doesn't seem to affect the growth rate at least not yet. Anyone else have the same experience?
Yes I have noticed that as well. Some are hyper reactive to food almost like an anemone (my UC Grim Reapers). While others it will just sit on til the flow turns back on and blows it off (my orange bam bams couldn't care less).

Some react slower but I sill see the mouth open slightly. One fun thing to do is take a timelaps video and see which one's eat and which dont. It's very apparent at higher speeds.

I stopped target feeding ones that don't eat at all.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the million dollar question, right? It's also the reason that some zoas are way more expensive than others.

I bought a single polyp of GMK. It grew GREAT for me. From 1p to 19p in about 7 months. Then, one day they all closed up, stayed closed for MONTHS, then slowly started opening back up. I thought I was out of the woods, but then they started melting away. I did manage to save 4p, but "lost" 15p!

I bought a frag of Murder Hornets (my second after the first try melted). It grew like CRAZY. Got the colony up to about 50p before I decided to frag them. I put one 10p frag in my garden and kept another 10p frag on my frag rack to grow out. They both did great for a few months, then the garden frag melted. A couple weeks later the frag in the rack melted. The frags I sold from the original colony have also been hit-or-miss. One guy got an 8p frag that has melted down to 2p, one guy's frag is sprouting babies for him regularly. Two other guys who got frags from me have completely lost them.

And all of this happened while I had 35+ other types of zoas (several high end) growing just fine in the same tank, LPS growing like weeds, etc. It really is a mystery! But... I'll continue to try to figure it out! :D

Back