Why do we work so much on nitrifying bacteria to just replace them at a later stage

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, we are always so keen in doing so much to get nitrifying heterotrophic bacteria to populate our systems at the beginning of our aquariums. Why do we just end up replacing it at a later stage by carbon consumers heterotrophs.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, we are always so keen in doing so much to get nitrifying heterotrophic bacteria to populate our systems at the beginning of our aquariums. Why do we just end up replacing it at a later stage by carbon consumers heterotrophs.
What is the reason for saying that nitrifying bacteria are replaced by heterotrophic bacteria?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason for saying that nitrifying bacteria are replaced by heterotrophic bacteria?
For what it’s worth I’ve also seen some stuff that suggests heterotrophs suffocate out nitrifyers when there’s enough organic stuff in the water. Heterotrophs are said to be 1000 times less efficient at ammonia reduction, but they multiply so dang fast.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a observation, many systems at a later stage start to depend on Carbon dosing to keep nitrates at bay. The heterotrophic bacteria that thrives under carbon dosing will also utilise ammonia, leaving less available nutrients for nitrifying bacteria. In addition I believe most of what we feed is rich in C that once again theoretically will leave nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria with less available nutrients and reduce their population that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I’ve also seen some stuff that suggests heterotrophs suffocate out nitrifyers when there’s enough organic stuff in the water. Heterotrophs are said to be 1000 times less efficient at ammonia reduction, but they multiply so dang fast.
That’s another thing @Garf that leads me to believe they getting replacement at a later stage, nitrifying bacteria takes up to 16 hours to duplicate and it seems that carbon heterotrophs can multiply much faster am not aware of a nitrifying bacteria bloom to ever been witnessed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if we replace them or not. If we do, I don't see it as a concern. Lots of things evolve in reef tnaks.

if the question is whether one could get heterotrophs to do the job right from day 1 of cycling, then answer would be no unless you dosed organic carbon since there's little to no organic carbon present in many cases.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heterotrophs can dominate a biofilm and compete for the oxygen. Agreed. They also generate NH3 and CO2 for the autotrophs to use. So the question is at what point do heterotrophs remove too much oxygen and wouldn’t that also be the point where anaerobic conditions start to develop? In other words, the system is probably going south, not simply nudging the nitrifyers out of the biofilm. We need to also consider the role of algae. They could be a problem depleting NH3.

Maybe the model to consider is a three-way tug of war between photoautotrophs, chemoautotrophs and hetertrophs for N, P, and inorganic C.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if we replace them or not. If we do, I don't see it as a concern. Lots of things evolve in reef tnaks.

if the question is whether one could get heterotrophs to do the job right from day 1 of cycling, then answer would be no unless you dosed organic carbon since there's little to no organic carbon present in many cases.
It does makes sense, I don’t think we are losing anything for most in the process of replacing the most abundant species of bacteria at the beginning of the tank by other that will in a effect be more efficient at balancing nutrients at a later stage as carbon consumers heterotrophs can utilise P. My thinking here is would some of the most hard to keep corals in our hobby somehow benefit from keeping nitrifying bacteria as a dominant species. Taking that the replacement process will happen eventually wether we like it or not.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wanna be the science ****. But Nitrifying bacteria, the ones that "cycle" your tank, are autotrophs. Dr Tim's word. Specifically:
  1. Nitrosomonas aestuarii
  2. Nitrosomonas halophila
  3. Nitrospira Marina
Schermata 2022-05-30 alle 01.52.36.png

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-05-30 alle 01.51.25.png
    Schermata 2022-05-30 alle 01.51.25.png
    428.4 KB · Views: 56

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a observation, many systems at a later stage start to depend on Carbon dosing to keep nitrates at bay. The heterotrophic bacteria that thrives under carbon dosing will also utilise ammonia, leaving less available nutrients for nitrifying bacteria. In addition I believe most of what we feed is rich in C that once again theoretically will leave nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria with less available nutrients and reduce their population that way.
Got it. Aquaculture uses a similar strategy to keep ammonia and nitrates down by growing bacteria biomass.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wanna be the science ****. But Nitrifying bacteria, the ones that "cycle" your tank, are autotrophs. Dr Tim's word. Specifically:
  1. Nitrosomonas aestuarii
  2. Nitrosomonas halophila
  3. Nitrospira Marina
Schermata 2022-05-30 alle 01.52.36.png
May be wrong but autotroph need inorganic carbon to do they’re processing I don’t believe nitrifying bacteria need that. May be wrong

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s at least a few folks on here that add some vinegar while cycling, hope they chime in.

Some helpful chap on an Oscar site has done the maths, I hope it’s right, lol;

Attachments

• 694B2D34-22F4-4E1B-977E-FF177F875AE9.jpeg
    694B2D34-22F4-4E1B-977E-FF177F875AE9.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Aquaculture uses a similar strategy to keep ammonia and nitrates down by growing bacteria biomass.
Not just in those cases imo as soon as we start adding live foods to a aquarium Carbon will start to be available, and heterotrophic bacteria could start to outcompete nitrifying bacteria, making heterotrophic bacteria the dominant species after a tank is cycled.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the second slide...
It still doesn’t make the question wrong, even if nitrifying bacteria are chemolithotrophic, heterotrophic bacteria can still remove they’re main food source wend carbon becomes available after the initial nitrogen cycle.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still doesn’t make the question wrong, even if nitrifying bacteria are chemolithotrophic, heterotrophic bacteria can still remove they’re main food source wend carbon becomes available after the initial nitrogen cycle.
Perhaps you could badger @MnFish1 to do another experiment, this time adding ammonia and a carbon source.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you could badger @MnFish1 to do another experiment, this time adding ammonia and a carbon source.
The experience already have been done by me @Coxey81 and @MnFish1 the lit rock outperform the dark rock by 4 times if my memory is not wrong meaning that heterotrophic bacteria has a bigger role in controlling ammonia in a established tank compared to nitrifying bacteria.
This to me would suggest that nitrifying bacteria is not so important as is though to be after the nitrogen cycle is finished.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experience already have been done by me @Coxey81 and @MnFish1 the lit rock outperform the dark rock by 4 times if my memory is not wrong meaning that heterotrophic bacteria has a bigger role in controlling ammonia in a established tank compared to nitrifying bacteria.
Light would need to be taken out of the equation I believe, in case photosynthetic stuff is consuming the ammonia.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light would need to be taken out of the equation I believe, in case photosynthetic stuff is consuming the ammonia.
I believe that was suggested during the test we done by @Lasse although after scrubbing the rock under chlorinated tap water the lit rock would still outperform the dark rock. If there was any photosynthetic algae in the rock (there wasn’t) it would of died during the freshwater rinse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does makes sense, I don’t think we are losing anything for most in the process of replacing the most abundant species of bacteria at the beginning of the tank by other that will in a effect be more efficient at balancing nutrients at a later stage as carbon consumers heterotrophs can utilise P. My thinking here is would some of the most hard to keep corals in our hobby somehow benefit from keeping nitrifying bacteria as a dominant species. Taking that the replacement process will happen eventually wether we like it or not.

I don't think corals are suffering from ammonia. They may be suffering from not getting ammonia.

I do not think driving ammonia levels lower is a useful goal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back