Why do you do it?

Why do you like keeping a saltwater reef aquarium? Pick two!

• You enjoy a challenge

Votes: 325 29.9%
  • You wanted a hobby

Votes: 176 16.2%
  • You see monetary value

Votes: 20 1.8%
  • You see it as a status symbol

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • You enjoy the biology of it

Votes: 511 47.1%
  • You enjoy the technology

Votes: 134 12.3%
  • You just love the ocean and want it in your home

Votes: 688 63.4%
  • The comradery you have with other hobbyists

Votes: 54 5.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 5.6%

• Total voters

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Why do you think you were drawn to this hobby?

This one is easy- I live in landlocked Indiana, and even when I do get to the ocean, issues with my ears prevent me from ever diving more than about 15-20 feet. I'm stuck with snorkeling on vacations as my only way to visit the coolest places on earth. So naturally I like having a bit of it in my living room where I can always see it. Helps to mitigate my severe wanderlust!

I also consider myself a lifelong student, always trying to learn. In reefing, there is plenty to be learned for decades.

2. Does this hobby attract a specific type of person? If so who?

I think this hobby is so broad, that the "type" is very broad as well. How you answer #1 is likely an answer to #2. I personally am more of a dreamer that seea the science as a necessary process, but not the fun part, and I definitely don't enjoy complicated equipment and hardware.

3. What are some common traits that you think are innate in every reefer?

Most (good) reefers are detail oriented, love to learn and enjoy a challenge.

JJ440

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although some of the other reasons apply, the real reason was stress relief. Not just for me but the crew I work with. Our job comes with plenty of challenges and the mental stress is usually hidden until it’s too late. This was just my attempt to curb some of the cumulative stress and help everyone relax. It’s the reason I still don’t have aquarium setup at home. At least until I get this one right.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now live many miles from the beach and truly miss it.
Same here. I see you're in W Yellowstone - I'm in Big Timber - we need to connect. I have some "extras" and its nice to have someone to talk shop with. I'm also an Ex ATL native, so a Braves fan as well!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanted to vote for more than three so i voted love of biology and other. I also like the way the follow-up questions throw me a curve.
I am fascinated by: the complexity of micro/macro fauna/flora that i discover; the behavior of the intended and unintended residents; the intricate dance of maintenance and parameters; the inert and living and how they complement and conflict. I enjoy sharing puzzles and insights, and find enjoyment in learning from other knowledgeable people.
when pondering the common traits of the members of our hobby.. i think we value the effort to accomplish and help others do the same. I suppose the ones who are more inwardly focused are less likely to be here so there may be some of those out there SAI.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Why do you think you were drawn to this hobby?
Definitely the ocean. Growing up, my grandparents lived in Florida, so every spring break when I was a kid, our family would drive to Florida for spring break. Their house had a canal in the back yard that went into Estero Bay and to the Gulf of Mexico. We would take my grandfather's boat out to the un-populated beaches and I could spend hours looking for critters and shells on the beach. I even tried bringing home some hermit crabs back in 1986 from the Gulf. My dad humored me and took me to the pet store to buy some salt and a floating hydrometer for my 10 gallon tank. Needless to say, at 14 I didn't know what I was doing, and they didn't live long. But the saltwater bug had bit and dug it's teeth in deep!

I think it attracts the analytical type. Because if you can't grasp simple chemistry and biology concepts, then a reef tank is not for you. I keep a reef because it is difficult and I enjoy a challenge (that would be my second choice). Even though nobody around me knows what goes into keeping it (except all you freaks on here with me!).

Well, for one, you need a decent source of disposable income. This hobby is not for the budget conscious. I have probably spent enough on my tank to have a fairly nice sedan. You also need patience. Nothing will ruin this hobby more quickly than moving too quickly.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live art in the house, unfortunately, the complexity and technology have made the hobby more difficult and less enjoyable. Yes, it has allowed an impressive amount of corals to be within the hobbiest's reach. I am surprised how much the fish selections have decreased and the costs increased. The complexity and technology has pushed the LFS's out of business, and the industry is now more MAP priced.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I see you're in W Yellowstone - I'm in Big Timber - we need to connect. I have some "extras" and its nice to have someone to talk shop with. I'm also an Ex ATL native, so a Braves fan as well!
You are lucky. You are close to the 2 LFS in Montana. If you ever want to visit the park, send me a PM. I might be able to hook you up with a room.

DarkSquirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ADHD, I have spent so much on other hobbies that I got bored and walked away from that my wife was getting upset. The only hobby I have never walked away from was my fish (mostly oscars but a few cichlid tanks here and there). My wife remembered me telling her about my diving experience from a few years before we met and told me my next hobby was a reef and refused to allow anything else. Now as dedicated as I am to the tank I wonder if she doesn't regret it. I'm doing it as a long term grow up tank with as little mechanical as possible so it constantly has something for me to do.
As far as traits or type of people dunno. Everyone here seems so varied other than our passion for the beautiful animals we are choosing to keep.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are lucky. You are close to the 2 LFS in Montana. If you ever want to visit the park, send me a PM. I might be able to hook you up with a room.
I know of the one lfs on jrabbit. Billings?

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept guppies, platys to age 12. Oscars, lots of cichlids. 125gallon African cichlids tank 30 years running. Started reef tanks four years ago. Why? Challenge, biology, constantly evolving work of art that only you know what it meant to move that coral six inches

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of the one lfs on jrabbit. Billings?
Crystal Aquatics in Bozeman. It's at four corners. Randy from BRS was there a couple of weeks ago.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biology of it is cool (even if I don't always understand it) but the big reason for me is the relaxation. It is just calming (when it isn't stressing you out) and I need as much of that in my life as possible.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is enjoyable for many reasons but lately I've not been into it because of GHA.
Need encouragement. GHA is a husbandry problem. If you leave the junk build up in the rock cracks it forms the soil for the gha. Wire brush it off the rock and turkey baste all the rock crannies until nothing comes out. Do this every two or three days with less and less gha coming back each time. 25cc vodka into 100gallons weekly to build up your microfauna to out eat the algae forever. Turbos, Astrelas.
All Reefs Matter

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal Aquatics in Bozeman. It's at four corners. Randy from BRS was there a couple of weeks ago.
Yep. "Used" to go there

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me fish keeping has always been relaxing. I have had a fish tank since I was a kid and have not been without a fish tank since 1978. Then working at a LFS I saw saltwater fish and it was love at first sight. The colors just blew me away. The coral gentle swaying in the flow captivated me too and added to the serenity. Working at the LFS in the 90s taught me a lot about the biology to keep a balanced tank and I developed a real appreciation for that aspect as well.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wgimxlypchy11.jpg

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you do it?

There seems to be many reasons for getting into this hobby, some enjoy a challenge, some are eager to explore new adventures, some see monetary value, some see it as a status symbol, some get submerged in the biology of it, some for the technology and some simply want to enjoy a slice of the reef.

Regardless the subtle differences, it certainly seems that for most of us, this is our tribe, we feel a sense of belonging amongst one another, if you put a group of us in a room together, we will talk for hours about any subject reef related.

In order to be successful, we quickly develop a keen aptitude in many disciplines encompassing the hobby, I don’t know if that’s by coincidence or if there’s a correlation with our passion that seems to pull us in. This is exactly the kind of connection I’d like to explore. Rightfully so, reefing isn’t for everyone, so…

1. Why do you think you were drawn to this hobby?

This QOTD comes to us from our good member @Sisterlimonpot. Thank you for the question!
bigstock-Hand-Writing-Existential-Quest-369577510.jpg
Hi all, just wanted to say I never considered the comradely of or in this hobby until R2R. Although I don't respond or post all the time I'm always here and really enjoy it. The folks and information I meet and gain are priceless to my wife and me. Thanks to everyone, and mostly to R2R for the opportunity.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all started with a Clownfish..... My daughter years ago asked if we could have a Clownfish. so we started a smaller Salt tank after having Fresh for a while. Long story short, it all grew from there. We got hooked, wife has her own tank, i have mine, and weve sold a few. Were in it for the beauty of the ocean in our home, and love the friendships of the hobby as well. Living in a landlocked state, coming from a coastal state, its nice to have that little piece of ocean in your home.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could check at least 4 of these, probably more.
1. I like a challenge.
2. I like the biology of it, if a pistol shrimp and gobie can get along we humans could learn a lot from the symbiotic relations in the ocean.
3. I like the technology and the some of the science behind keeping a reef tank.
4. I've wanted a saltwater tank since snorkling in Okinawa while in the Marines in 99. Active 93-99. At the time I had no idea it was even possible or who to even ask.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back