Why do you do it?

Why do you like keeping a saltwater reef aquarium? Pick two!

• You enjoy a challenge

Votes: 325 29.9%
  • You wanted a hobby

Votes: 176 16.2%
  • You see monetary value

Votes: 20 1.8%
  • You see it as a status symbol

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • You enjoy the biology of it

Votes: 511 47.1%
  • You enjoy the technology

Votes: 134 12.3%
  • You just love the ocean and want it in your home

Votes: 688 63.4%
  • The comradery you have with other hobbyists

Votes: 54 5.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 5.6%

• Total voters

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A variety of reasons. There are so many fascinating things going on in a natural established reef tank. There is so much to learn about. Reef keeping just has so many areas of interest.. I enjoy learning about all the chemistry, biology, inverts, corals, anemones, fish, lighting, equipment and everything else. I love the amazing fish and corals as well.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into it for the love of the fish and beauty of it. I fell in love with the challenges and biology of it. I continue to have fun with it because of the camaraderie with other reefers. :D

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is beautiful and fascinating to look at the colorful fish that all have their own personalities interacting, the beautiful coral. There is a kind of serenity watching the ebb and flow of the small piece of the ocean in my home. I also like the idea of having an ecological system in my home.

Mouser1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons I maintain a reef is for the beauty it brings to our home; the tank is like having a constantly moving and evolving work of art for us to appreciate.
This expresses my reasons very well. I have wanted a saltwater aquarium for much of my life (I'm 74). Two years ago I finally pulled the trigger and "dove" in.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love building stuff I have more fun building it then keeping it lol

Eyesac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who made a living from commercial and recreational scuba for over a decade I just wanted a piece of the ocean in my home.

One of the benefits is teaching my kids the biology and technical aspects along with patience and a love for nature.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the challenge and building the system.. I enjoy being able to build a system that can keep coral and enjoy tweaking or trying new things. During covid this has also been a life savor with my kids and wife. I catch them feeding fish and staring at things in the tank all the time now.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you do it?

There seems to be many reasons for getting into this hobby, some enjoy a challenge, some are eager to explore new adventures, some see monetary value, some see it as a status symbol, some get submerged in the biology of it, some for the technology and some simply want to enjoy a slice of the reef.

Regardless the subtle differences, it certainly seems that for most of us, this is our tribe, we feel a sense of belonging amongst one another, if you put a group of us in a room together, we will talk for hours about any subject reef related.

In order to be successful, we quickly develop a keen aptitude in many disciplines encompassing the hobby, I don’t know if that’s by coincidence or if there’s a correlation with our passion that seems to pull us in. This is exactly the kind of connection I’d like to explore. Rightfully so, reefing isn’t for everyone, so…

1. Why do you think you were drawn to this hobby?

2. Does this hobby attract a specific type of person? If so who?

3. What are some common traits that you think are innate in every reefer?

This QOTD comes to us from our good member @Sisterlimonpot. Thank you for the question!
bigstock-Hand-Writing-Existential-Quest-369577510.jpg
1. Why do you think you were drawn to this hobby?

Other should be only answer, at first for me was , the challenge, biology, technology. But after the Indo ban in 2018. Answer is other. My children of the sea, everyone in the future needs to enjoy, so many of us trying to aquaculture them. Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya...one species of dendronephthya going extinct in Australia as we speak. Bummer

2. Does this hobby attract a specific type of person? If so who?

Curious people, people who love the creation, my guess

3. What are some common traits that you think are innate in every reefer?

Traits of a farmer. To last in this hobby especially need patience, do your homework, then more homework, then execute ideas. My guess

Screenshot_20201104-134915.png

Brody’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it started as a challenge. I was told saltwater aquariums were too expensive, too much work, and too hard. Never one to back down from the challenge I dove into researching. After many many hours of research my position changed. I fell in love with the beauty of the corals and fish. But what I didn’t anticipate is how much I would grow to love the ocean and all of its wonder. I was pulled into not only the beauty but also the different organisms of all types throughout a reef and how they all work together to form such a spectacular thing. This is what led me to start finding different reefs to snorkel on vacation and being able to ID and spot things I have seen in aquariums. My next big goal is to dive the Great Barrier Reef.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I realized you could only pick 2 choices I had checked all the answers except 2,3 and 4.

I've always loved the ocean so reef keeping was always something I considered doing.

Interestingly, it's spawned another hobby for me, scuba diving .

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my son passed, I was looking for the meaning of life. I needed something that made me feel needed and happy. I've always loved my freshwater fish, aquariums. I needed a more challenging, long time learning project. I started reading and studying saltwater aquariums and now there's no looking back. I'm hooked. And I know my son would think it was awesome if he was still here. It's near his old bedroom.
Thanks for reading this ❤

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back