Why does it matter where inverts are sourced from?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at LiveAquaria, and they offer different options for cleaner shrimp sourcing, ranging from Africa, to Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. Does it matter where they are sourced from? I know for fish, that their colorations and capture methods can vary based on area, but don't think I've seen a skunk cleaner shrimp look any different from each other.. Please give me some education here ;Bookworm lol

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... not sure why LA separates the skunk cleaner shrimp by origin; of the several online vendors I checked, only one other one does that. They're found in all the world's tropical reefs, and nobody lists any difference in them based on locale. I'll be following this one... maybe someone else can find something.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some difference between the sri Lanka ones I think, at least my LFS says so and that's why they charge double.. I don't remember the difference cause I got the cheap one..

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some difference between the sri Lanka ones I think, at least my LFS says so and that's why they charge double.. I don't remember the difference cause I got the cheap one..

Unfortunately, some LFSes will try to capitalize on anything. Although LA and one other vendor separate them by origin, it doesn't affect the price.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, some LFSes will try to capitalize on anything. Although LA and one other vendor separate them by origin, it doesn't affect the price.
Yeah, I think they said something about better color or something... I dunno seemed silly to me

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is supposed to have better color? I could also imagine capture techniques changing based on region. I’ve not heard much about African practice, but it seems pretty loose in the Philippines when compared to say, Australia.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is supposed to have better color? I could also imagine capture techniques changing based on region. I’ve not heard much about African practice, but it seems pretty loose in the Philippines when compared to say, Australia.
They said Sri Lanka were the better ones, I dunno if that's true or just the reason they gave since they wanted double the price..

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color variations can be quite a bit different in regard to intensity with some species.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl can you provide info re: cleaner shrimp? I haven't found much searching google about the issue

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl can you provide info re: cleaner shrimp? I haven't found much searching google about the issue

When it comes to the cleaners, no clue. Other fish (i.e miniatus groupers) can vary wildly from rather boring spots to electric blues on an intense red.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I knew it mattered for fish coloration. Just wasn’t sure about inverts.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an article about Sri Lanka fire shrimp, maybe that's what LFS was thinking about but I was looking at plain cleaners. Maybe they generalized to all Sri Lanka shrimp, I don't know

"fire shrimp from Sri Lanka are generally regarded as superior in terms of size, coloration, and hardiness (rightly so, in my opinion)."

From https://www.reef2rainforest.com/201...tion-of-a-reef-aquarium-staple-in-sri-lanka/

Article talks about how they are shipped and treated well too so maybe handling plays a role as well.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you would think all shrimp from that area would be better?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you would think all shrimp from that area would be better?
I have no idea to be honest. I think that's what my LFS was generalizing, but I don't know it wasn't just a sales ploy. The article lends some credence about the fire shrimp, in the authors opinion though.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location also has a huge role in how ethically your fish, invert or coral are caught or harvested.

For example: A fish caught in Fiji is far more likely to have been caught humanely vs a fish in Indonesia.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are harvest practices in Africa? I know Sri Lanka is better than Indonesia.

I’m not sure, to be honest. I don’t even know much about Sri Lanka.

I do know that everything verifiably sourced from Australia, is extremely ethical.

There is a great presentation by Laura Simmons about sourcing your livestock. I believe BRS has it on their channel from her presentation at the San Diego macna.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea to be honest. I think that's what my LFS was generalizing, but I don't know it wasn't just a sales ploy. The article lends some credence about the fire shrimp, in the authors opinion though.

In revisiting LA, I noticed that less than half the shrimp offered are separated by place of origin. Of those that are, only one has a color variance listed in the description- the blood red fire shrimp. All are priced according to size; origin has no effect.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely they have them listed with where they were imported from so that they can keep their own records straight.
If you have the same animal coming in from different places around the world from different sources and pay different prices based on imprt fees etc, you gotta keep things straight.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some cases (probably not very many...) folks may want to keep "biotope" aquaria, using fish, inverts and corals found at a particular location. If LA has the information, good on them for providing it!

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back