Why does my anemone look bad? (Explanation, Pics, and Statistics)

HydroSean

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me.

TL;DR at the bottom with my specifications and question.

I have had my Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon salt water tank for about 3 years now with 2 mocha ocellaris, one very small hermit crab (<1cm), and one mexican turbo snail. I recently bought a red bubble tip anemone (or that is what the store owner told me) and here is what happened. I acclimated the anemone to my tank one week ago and he moved around the tank and found a spot he liked. Then he shriveled up tightly for two days then opened up beautifully and looked amazing. The past few days his tentacles were purple color and shriveled up. He also looks deflated in a way. I am concerned as this has been going on for 3 days. I am worried that he is in the process of dying but I am not entirely sure of that. I would appreciate help from anyone with experience, thank you in advance.

TL;DR
My red bubble tip anemone (one week in the tank) is looking shriveled up, off color, and deflated. Here are the specs and pics:

Specifications:
-Calcium (Ca 2+): 520 ppm
-KH: 232.7 ppm
-dKH: 13
-Phosphate (PO4 3-): 10.0 ppm
-Nitrate (NO3 -): 160 ppm
-Nitrite (NO2 -): 0 ppm
-pH: 8.0
-Ammonia (NH3/NH4 +): 0 ppm
-Temperature: 78 deg. F
-Iodine/Iodide: 0.04 mg/L
-Magnesium: 1620 mg/L
-Light: Current USA Orbit IC
-PAR (at bottom of anemone): 112
-PAR (at top of anemone): 160
-PAR (at top of tank): 300+
-PAR (at bottom of tank): 90
-Sunrise light: 0700 to 0830 (White: 25%, Blue: 70%, Red: 25%, Green: 5%)
-Daylight: 0830 to 1900 (White: 65%, Blue: 100%, Red: 45%, Green: 10%)
-Sunset light: 1900 to 2030 (White: 25%, Blue: 70%, Red: 25%, Green: 5%)
-Moonlight: 2030 to 0230 (White: 0%, Blue: 5%, Red: 0%, Green: 0%)
-Light completely off: 0230-0700
20200821_124148.jpg

20200821_122732.jpg

20200821_122739.jpg
 
It looks OK in those pictures.

While the alk and nitrate are high, i doubt it is an issue and it may just be settling in still.
 
It doesn’t look that bad, I made a noob mistake my anemone was sad for a couple days all my parameters are fine, I figured out I haven’t recalibrated my refractometer in a while and I thought my salinity was 1.025 when really it was 1.029!
 
It doesn’t look that bad, I made a noob mistake my anemone was sad for a couple days all my parameters are fine, I figured out I haven’t recalibrated my refractometer in a while and I thought my salinity was 1.025 when really it was 1.029!
Thanks for the insight, I just checked my calibration and it was still zeroed correctly. The salinity is at 1.024
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new