Why does my EL show 6 sw units on the base port?

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am not clear on what SW stands for? there are only 4 functional ports on my SW plus two USB that are for the brain to send out messages to the modules.

What am I missing?

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are referring to with 4 ports. SW is usually switches...

The two USB Ports are AquaBus ports, used for plugging in Apex Modules Only.
Don't ever plug in anything other then Apex gear into those.
apexel.png

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you mean in fusion, it's for the break out box module. Why they include them without the BOB(like the DOS doesn't show until you connect it) I have no idea, but once you connect a BOB to the brain SW1-6 refer the connection on it.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are virtual switches in Fusion for alerting. When an event happens that requires an alert (temp, ph) code written by you or the tasks can turn these switches on/off. When they're toggled, you can an email and an alert on your dashboard.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wire any kind of simple float switch or magnetic switch to either the Neptune breakout box or an alternate one like this.
Then plug that into the IO port on your Apex.
Now you can monitor for high or low water levels and have the Apex take appropriate action.
Monitor your cabinet doors and have the Apex turn on a light when the door opens.
Etc.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why they include them without the BOB(like the DOS doesn't show until you connect it) I have no idea, but once you connect a BOB to the brain SW1-6 refer the connection on it.

The reason is that Apex doesn't have any direct way of knowing whether a breakout box is connected or not.
A BOB is just a dumb wiring extension, unlike a DOS or Trident it contains no active electronics that 'tell' the Apex that it's there.
Of course the first time one of the switches actually changed from open to closed, that would tell the Apex that a BOB and at least 1 switch were attached.
They could have programmed it to make the switch tiles appear when this happens, I suppose.
Probably just easier having the switch tiles always there.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back