why does my monti cap look like this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter myownlife
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

myownlife

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2013
Messages
305
Reaction score
48
Location
Hillsborough NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this guy for a few months and its growing great. However the old growth is slowly turning to a brownish purple instead of bright orange like the new growth. Just curious what cause this. Here is a pic. Is it to much light? Is it phosphates. I have a couple other spa that have great color but I am still a noob when it comes to sps. Thanks guys
IMG_20140707_135545_812.jpg
 
Some pieces simply change color depending on lighting and water quality. The new growth on most SPS is usually a different color than the main portion of the colony. As long as it isn't bleaching, you are doing OK.
 
Check for trace elements.
If i'm not mistaken Monti cap needs iron and magnesium for color.

Trace elements in a smaller system should be added back in by water changes and routine maintenance. Perhaps too much light? How high in the tank do you have it? Monti Caps dont like as much light as other monti's, IME.
 
My mag sits around 1400. I do weekly 10 gallon changes on a 70 g total volume system and I dose trace elements as needed
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new