Why dose everyone use schedule 80

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used schedule 80 because I had better color selection and I would rather have thicker walls that make the plumbing a little more stable imo

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with sch80 joints and sch40 in orange for straight pipes. It matches my apex color scheme.

José Morales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS carries 40sch in different colors, but before that that, we all did it for the looks of it, but also, in bulkheads and other fittings I really recommend more sch 80 than 40 for reliability and redundancy! Happy reefing!!

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its my understanding that 80 handles higher psi much better like say for your return line other than that I have no idea.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is that economy is on your mind more so when you are new. Later on, you turn your focus on your dream tank build and you realize a few extra dollars for sch 80 isn’t a big deal in the overall cost. I use BRS sch 40 pipe in red and sch 80 valves. Sch 80 valves last longer and tend to not bind over time.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important part is to budget for a quality spears gate valve for your main siphon throttling. The cepex ball valves are also top notch for wherever you may need them.

That is always the only gate valve I use.
So in conclusion for most people it’s looks, that was what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 80 in bulkheads. Less likely to crack if connected pipes are torqued.
This dose make sense, however. If you have holes that are not drilled with the extra thickness in mind, wouldn’t that cause loss of flow? I have drilled a couple tanks and when looking at brs they have holes saws for 40 and 80. So I would think knowing this before should affect your choice.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use schedule 40. always have. Never had a problem. Schedule 80 for all the needed fittings and components is difficult to source where I am located. It would be a mix at any rate. One day, when I am at a location where I can source all sch 80 I will likely go that route just for shiggles and Gicks. In the meantime, If I want purdy, I do this...
DSCN9664.JPG

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all schedule 40 thin wall pipe,,more volumes on overflow and return piping buy very minor effect overall ..
Use what your comfortable with . As long as it don't leak,,your doing good ..

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People select schedule mostly based on personal preference. Sch.40 is way more than enough for a reef tank. I have a piece of 3/4 Sch.40 and it says rated to 480 PSI @ 73F.

Schedule 80 bulkheads do serve a good purpose though.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back